Power windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuintLee92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2020
I have an issue getting my passenger side window to go up/down on my 86 cutlass supreme. The driver side switch makes the driver side go up and down but not the passenger side nor the passenger side switch go up or down . I replaced both switches and passenger side motor. I Hooked to wire to an 12v battery on the passenger side motor the 2 wires and the battery makes it go up and down but not the switch ? I NEED HELP ASAP . Do I have them connected on the switches wrong ? Shortage? Fuse? Help please

Reactions: 1 user

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
It's likely the relay in the passenger side kick panel or you have a broken wire in between the door and body.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
take a look at the wiring in the rubber cocoon between the door and A piller, the wires get brittle with age and crack

QuintLee92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2020
It's likely the relay in the passenger side kick panel or you have a broken wire in between the door and body.
. Ok is this the relay and is there any picture firmly showing how the wire shoulda connect to the switches( both)which wires goes where .

Attachments

• 32874D52-8AA7-4A97-BEDE-C790D7BE9A8F.jpeg
    32874D52-8AA7-4A97-BEDE-C790D7BE9A8F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 951

QuintLee92

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2020
take a look at the wiring in the rubber cocoon between the door and A piller, the wires get brittle with age and crack
Thanks I check the wires between there ok . Is there any pix showing actually how to hook the wires to the switches.where each wire go on the switch to make sure I have them connect in the right prong on the switch

wv hillbilly

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 26, 2017
Tornado, WV
Reactions: 4 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Check and clean the contacts on the passenger window switch

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Unfortunately, unless the CSM is wrong, the wiring is a little different on your 86 than the Malibu wiring diagram.

If BOTH passenger side switches are not operating the pass window, my bet is a bad PASSENGER SIDE SWITCH. Secondly, you may have a wire or two hosed up as well. This is first blush. I could be wrong. It's unusual, but BOTH switches are usually not bad at the same time.

Remove your passenger's side window switch and unplug it from it's little flat connector. You'll also need a voltmeter to check for line voltage (12V).

Here's the rub. You can have a perfectly good driver side power window switch for the passenger side, but the way they wire it in, it goes THROUGH the passenger door switch. There should be 5 wires on the passenger side connector. PINK hot wire coming in, a blue/white stripe wire and tan wire coming from the driver side passenger control switch, and the two wires, blue and brown, going to the window motor.

While you're at the passenger door with switch removed, check your pink wire at the switch plug to see if it's getting voltage. It should be hot in ignition on/running. There's also a blue with white stripe (UP) and tan (DWN) wire going to the passenger side window switch. FROM that switch, you have a blue (UP) and brown (DWN) wire going to the motor.

Ok, back to the blue/white (UP) wire connection and tan (DWN) wire connection. With ignition ON or car running, check voltage by operating the passenger window switch on the driver door. You should see voltage at those aforementioned wires in the positions they correlate to. If you don't see voltage, then something is amiss from the driver door switch to the passenger side switch.

Here's an OPTION you can try if you have power to the blue/white and tan wires- using a jumper wire, jump the blue/white to the blue wire terminal ONLY and see if the motor tries to go up. Conversely, try jumping the tan to the brown terminals with the driver side passenger window switch in DWN and see if the motor rolls the window down. If this check is satisfactory, it's your passenger side switch causing you issues. It could be the terminals dirty, or loose prongs, or possible garbage/corrosion inside the switch. If you know how to take them apart, great. If you don't, it's ok. Replacement switches are fairly cheap. WHICH style of door panel do you have? The Salon/442 style, or the Supreme style? (Half vinyl/half cloth with vertical pull handle)

Note: Your passenger side switch is powered independently of the driver side, so if you're switch is good, the driver side switch condition has no effect.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 7 users

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
69hurstolds, Now that I'm trying to adopt your rule, your breaking it yet again... f it I'll jump in

What 69hurstolds said is correct, cutlass window wiring is a lot different.

Only thing I can add is that in my experience, these switches fail ALL THE TIME, I've seen some melted. Not sure what you replaced them with, but if they're used I'd be looking there first. I bought 3 from pick n pull when mine weren't working, and all of them were shot. Brand new switch saved the day.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor