Pro SS Shocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Believe these are made by or for Afco but anyone have any experience with them? I was going to just be safe and grab a set of Bilstein B6s [and I still might] when I ran across these. Virtually the exact same price as Bilsteins.

PFI-SS100_xl.jpg
PFI-SS201_xl.jpg

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfi-ss100/overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfi-ss201/overview/

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
We ran the pro in our thunder and super stock circle track cars. Never had a problem with them. I have used Afco shocks in my GP and they worked well. I now have Bilstein AK shocks and like them the best.

Last edited:

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Pro Shocks are an oval track based company that was aquired recently by speedway motors/Afco.

Never ran them on a street car but ran the pro shocks on a dirt sprint car, they are "Quality" shocks in the racing world.

I'll go out on a limb and say they are every bit the quality of Bilstein if not better!

Craig

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Thanks all . . .

Pontiacgp, where can I get AKs for a gbody? Specifically '87 442 in my case. Common online places I have used have the B6s.

Craig@UMI, believe it or not, your UMI shocks are on the shortlist too but [as you know] are a bit more coin. I was going to buy your 1" lowering springs and shocks but am now leaning toward a set of Eibachs and different shocks purely for budgetary reasons. I will be buying rear lowering brackets along with reinforcement arms and upper/lower rear control arms from you since your boxed lowers and adjustable uppers with a roto on one end look quite intriguing. I am leaning toward Hotchkis on new front/rear sway bars just because I would like to try tubular front and rear and you just have the rear. Is there a particular reason why your front is still solid?

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Yeah, I found them [AKs] at Bilstein. Haven't found them online or locally yet . . . on this side of the border anyway!

Have not checked into special order yet. May have to??

I will be lowering but just ~ 1" with the Eibach Pros.

Might want to jack the ole girl up and take a measurement or two with the stock springs to see what the -1" max length should be, huh?

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
A few reasons for solid on the G body. One is, when we started building these, tubular was more costly per foot than solid. Nowadays that is changing and we are evaluating possibilities for our sway bar line (keeping in mind there is no tubular on the near horizon for this part number). The other is the rate. As you may know, the G-body presents a few unique packaging requirements. We didn't want to sacrifice the approx 15% rate loss due to tubular. We have to fit a lot of rate in lot a lot of space.

ramey
Thanks all . . .

Pontiacgp, where can I get AKs for a gbody? Specifically '87 442 in my case. Common online places I have used have the B6s.

Craig@UMI, believe it or not, your UMI shocks are on the shortlist too but [as you know] are a bit more coin. I was going to buy your 1" lowering springs and shocks but am now leaning toward a set of Eibachs and different shocks purely for budgetary reasons. I will be buying rear lowering brackets along with reinforcement arms and upper/lower rear control arms from you since your boxed lowers and adjustable uppers with a roto on one end look quite intriguing. I am leaning toward Hotchkis on new front/rear sway bars just because I would like to try tubular front and rear and you just have the rear. Is there a particular reason why your front is still solid?
n

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Pros are okay, but, you're looking at a stamped body entry level shock.
Best bang for your buck would be to buy some AK series Bilstiens.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Sold! And the AKs are cheaper than the B6s or the Pro SS. :banana:

That never happens . . . Thanks all!

Hope to finally get:

Eibachs Pro Springs
Bilstein AKs
Energy Suspension Front CA Bushings

Ordered this week . . .

UMI order will come next!
Guess I now need to move this over to my build thread though, huh? :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor