Pro-Touring Pic Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
jonnyslick said:
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Yeah, mine is more redneck BMW meets pimpmobile...lol. Pro Touring has become Show Touring, with cars that look pretty but are never driven in anger. There is no point to adding all the newer tech to a car that doesn't get pushed to it's limits and refined until it is at it's peak. Most of them are as worthless as Pro Street.

^ True True ... that's why we shall build ours in rage and drive them in anger!

:twisted:

I'll agree with that too... Don't think just because you have an American car it can't be riced out with billet this and that. :lol:

I have major remorse going on with my car.. Its got the 'Show-Touring' thing going on some..its just not ugly enough.. I wish I would've left it the factory pea green and built a nasty supercharged LSX setup.

But I'm going to take some steps to reduce the bling and introduce some satin and charcoal finishes to give it a less polished look.

Tony_SS said:
jonnyslick said:
Yeah, mine is more redneck BMW meets pimpmobile...lol. Pro Touring has become Show Touring, with cars that look pretty but are never driven in anger. There is no point to adding all the newer tech to a car that doesn't get pushed to it's limits and refined until it is at it's peak. Most of them are as worthless as Pro Street.

I'll agree with that too... Don't think just because you have an American car it can't be riced out with billet this and that. :lol:

I have major remorse going on with my car.. Its got the 'Show-Touring' thing going on some..its just not ugly enough.. I wish I would've left it the factory pea green and built a nasty supercharged LSX setup.

But I'm going to take some steps to reduce the bling and introduce some satin and charcoal finishes to give it a less polished look.
i wouldnt worry about what people say,that monte is sweet,id leave it as it is.just my opionion.

jaysGP said:
Tony_SS said:
jonnyslick said:

i wouldnt worry about what people say,that monte is sweet,id leave it as it is.just my opionion.

x2! I wouldn't change it Tony. Unless your getting bored with it, I know alot of projects never really end.

Tony_SS said:
jonnyslick said:

Tony, i really liked the 2tone pea green your car had going on before. but it still looks killer now!

I debate where to go with mine, cosmetically. I had to do the body or junk the car, which is why I went as far as I did. When I started this odyssey, my Cutlass was a clapped out pizza delivery car that had a engine swap, and a few other things done, but was really ratty. The rust in the roof was getting bad and needed a proper repair, the door hinge was broken, it had a big dent in the quarter, both doors were rusty, and the header panel was held in place with a coat hanger. I was going to just do a quickie paint job and proper rust repair, but it snowballed as these things often do. Now, I face either doing it all very nice with new wheels, etc. or just making do. Under the hood is an engine bay no one would be proud of except me. No chrome, billet, etc. I don't want to clean it. If I ever do another engine in this car, it will be just as utilitarian as this one. It's cheaper that way. I may make my Cutlass a nice car, which I think it deserves to be. However, the next thing I build will be all business. It will probably be a RWD Japanese car though as I want to play with something different and expand my horizons with new technologies. The way I see it, you stop learning and growing in life when you decide to stop exploring. Why build the same thing multiple times when there are so many other choices to choose from? You don't learn as much from building the same type of car twice as you would trying something different. I love my Cutlass, and have no intention of getting rid of it, so don't worry! I am not going away! I will however be getting rid of one project that I don't want anymore and replacing it with another.

Tony, you have one of the nicest Montes I have ever seen. I wouldn't change a thing on it! However, that doesn't mean you can't buy another car and use it as a guinea pig for new technical ideas. That way, you have a nice one and a car you can constantly improve without having to worry about how it looks.

Thanks guys.. hindsight's always 20/20.. I guess the car looks too much like a show car and I really could care less about a trophy. We'll see how it ends up.. I wont ever sell it, and I dont think I want to take on another project anytime soon so we'll see what happens with it.

85, I wouldn't worry about the details too much (easier said than done).. I think your Cutlass is going to be bad *ss once it gets on the road.

Tony ... yeah don't change a thing on your car.

I guess the point we were getting at is that I'd say a good 90% of the ultra high dollar Pro-Touring cars are garage queens and weekend drivers. I just can't see dumping that much money into something to sit (unless you own a museum and are charging people to come look at it 8) ).

But if those same guys with the same cars would take them to track events or auto-x or even use them harder on the street, then I say it's all good to go.

So don't go getting rid or changing your car (unless that's what YOU want), just make sure you drive it like you built it for! Which I'm sure you do.

8)

I like the term joe touring. 8) Build it to drive and hard. Its eazy to back off once you worked hard and spent big on the body, paint, billet wheels etc. I often don't drive the GN as much and as hard as its expensive to fix or replace and it has collector value even though I didn't buy it for that purpose back in 1986. Thats why I bought the Olds to build a fun powerful driver. After a wreck I later bought and transfered the drivetrain to a 442 but I still put a cheap paint job with only widened factory wheels & relatively inexpensive mods.

It looks good not great will retain value but probably never hide it in my garage value. And I plan to flog the sh*t out of it this summer like I did my regular Cutty before it. Its not pro tour or an autocrosser but its not a dragstrip build either. Wider wheels & tires up front, 36mm hollow Fbody sway bar, HD poly end links, cheap but effective mods that allows me to enjoy off/on ramps etc. It uses pump gas gets decent mileage with the OD etc. Before the old Cutty got wrecked it became my daily driver for a while after getting screwed bad and loseing my then current daily driver. Anyway I put about 9,000 miles on it and got 17mpg on a trip the day after running a 12.6 110mph drag strip pass. Some people say man you ruined it putting a non Olds motor in it. I say my vin9 307 can go back in at any time and I am enjoying DRIVING my car.

Here is my old GN on a Auto-X corse. This was the first time I have ever ran on a autocross corse.

<embed src="http://videos.streetfire.net/vidiac.swf?video=918760ed-5e08-4c86-be14-98c901474da8" width="428" height="352" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed><br><a href="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Scot-Ws-1986-Grand-on-the_97711.htm?ref=bfa43800-741e-4190-a6d5-985b014071c9">Scot+W's+1986+Grand+National+on+the+Auto-X%2c+2006'</a>

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor