Problem with 85 Elco gauges not working properly

GBodyVillain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2021
So I've got an 85 Elco that I've just been tearing my hair out trying to get the gauges to work. To start, the temp gauge hardly moves at all but it does move. The fuel gauge stays at full, will move down about an 8th of a tank and then just sit there. Voltmeter and oil pressure work fine.

Had to replace my temp sending unit and when I did, the gauge stopped working. I've bench tested the sending unit, made sure that when i installed it I took off all that sealant to make sure the connection was good and no dice. Gauge reads low temp and when the car gets up to temp, the needle hardly moves. Computer reads temp properly, not having the thermostat stuck open or anything. I ended up wanting my gauges tested and rebuilt and some new needles put on so I took them out of the dash, had them worked on when I brought them home i bench tested them to make sure they worked properly. Using a potentiometer and the proper values from my shop manual I made sure the gauges worked perfect and they did. Put everything back in my car and nothing. They still behaved the same.

Was having issues around this time with my fuel pump so I changed the sending unit while I was at it and still no change. I checked the wiring, no added resistance or anything, didnt just check for continutiy. Moving back to my temp gauge I decided to check the connector and it did add some resistance, about 50 ohms so I replaced the connector and tested it again to find all was good and well. Gauges still behaved exactly the same.

Thought I might replace the printed circuit board on the back of the dash so I did. No improvement. I took every single connector that interfaces with the printed circuit board and cleaned everything. Cleaned all the contacts on the back of the gauges too. Cleaned all of the connectors in the plug that interfaces with the printed circuit board. It's as if I didn't make any changes, the gauges kept doing what they were doing.

At this point I'd had it and my car was getting parked because the cat got clogged so I decided to hell with it, I'm tearing the entire dash out to do some other things I've been wanting to fix. I checked all the wiring behind it, checked the fuse block took it apart and cleaned everything. Once I got everythign sorted behind the dash, made sure the wiring was good from the plug to the firewall and beyond, checked and cleaned and made sure every single ground in the cabin had a good connection with clean metal I buttoned everything back up, replaced the dash and reinstalled the gauges. Absolutely no change.

I then went into the engine bay and went through every single ground strap, tested all of them and then cleaned them, making sure I had good metal to metal contact. Still absolutely no improvement.

I feel like I'm missing something so stupidly simple it's going to make the rest of my hair go white when I find whats wrong. My sending units bench test fine, the gauges bench test fine even when in the dash pad and I'm hooking up alligator clips to the interface for the printed circuit board, but when installed int he car they just don't work properly. They arent pinned at max or minimum and if I take the sending unit wires and short them to ground, they max out. Can anyone think of something I'm missing? I've got about 6 months working on this off and on and I am completely at a loss. The big f u is that everything was working perfectly fine at one time until the temp sending unit quit and I decided to have my gauges worked on. I even took the gauges back to the shop that worked on them and we tested them and they worked just fine. Thanks for any insight some of you may have.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Looks like it might be time to upgrade.

1695171573191.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyVillain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2021
Not really. I went out of my way to get an ac delco temp sending unit and my temp gauge worked again. For a time. About a month after installing the sending unit the needle hardly moves and reads low, but it does work better than it did before. Its almost impossible to find the right acdelco sending unit anywhere else but ebay and even then I ordered a couple and was given the wrong part. As for the fuel gauge, I replaced the whole gauge with one from opgi I believe. Still would not read right but was better. I think the old gauge the needle was sticking somewhere around the full mark and if you phyiscally mived the needle below that, it would work just fine. However the accuracy with the old and new gauge was the same. If you fill the tank up to full, it would pin the gauge. I made a 300 mile trip in the car and on fill ups I started keeping track of how much it would take to fuel up when the needle started moving. When the needles started moving down I was at half tank. Half on the gauge would be quarter tank. At least this way I could still see when im running out. Ive had the fuel sensing unit out several times and the travel of the float, angle of the unit and the lines and the float are exactly the same as the old one. The depth at which they sit in the tank is the same. I don't even understand how this is even possible when it bench tests just fine. Regaurdless, I've moved my focus to trying to save up for an LS swap and when I go that route and im going to swap out for a digital gauge set. At least I got to enjoy the original layout and configuration of the car for a while.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor