PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

87SS383

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2010
During acceleration my car is losing power/sputtering/backfiring. It's only while in drive, and it will cut out during acceleration and stops. In nuetral/park i can rev and idle with no problem. I have to mash the gas to get through the sputters and as long as i let it glide it's ok. I run 93 octane fuel, and I've already checked to see if it is tainted, it's not. I'm thinking a timing issuse. I need help, can't afford a mechanic bill.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
sounds almost like a fuel pump, or an accelerator pump....

87SS383

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2010
Fuel pump was replaced with engine in May 08, only 2000 miles on the pump/engine since. I guess i'll pull the pump tomorrow and see if the plunger is stuck/not getting full motion.

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
I agree with accelerator pump in the carb. Easier to check, too :wink:

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
sounds like a lean condition with the sputtering and such you may need to richen it up a tad also, but take one step at a time...also check for vaccuum leaks, if you have a pcv vale hooked up block it off to see if that helps

emoney87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2010
i had this same problem with my 85 cutlass it was the timing, but it could also be a crossed plug wire, hope you get it fixed it drove me crazy

snowball

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 24, 2009
Sounds like the disgronfier

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor