Progress on the '78 (56k obliteration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
So I have pics of it up on a couple other forums, and realized I hadn't posted them here :oops: I was up in Michigan for Christmas with family. While I was up there (freezing my balls off, as I have every winter the past 27+ years) my dad & I made the first step to getting the '78 drivable, which involved pulling the body off the frame for some body mount repair, and painting of the frame. There is some bodywork that will definitely be needed (most is unseen, body mount stuff, etc.), but first things first, the frame. I'm hoping maybe late this spring I'll be able to get back up there for some time to hit it hard & get some other stuff done (fuel/brake plumbing, etc.). My goal is to have it road-ready, if not emissions-ready to drive to Arizona. That will involve changing to an EGR-equipped Vortec intake, the appropriate C/K truck headers that have the proper connection for the EGR tube, and a pair of cats (and pray to the gods they pass me on that). The car is currently a blast to drive as a daily with a traditional SBC and a 4-speed, but I want to swap an LS motor in and a Keisler dogbox 5- or 6-speed in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2fGeL7DEE

You can see more at http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn11 ... me%20work/
On to the pics...
DSC03472.jpg

DSC03474.jpg

DSC03475.jpg

DSC03477.jpg

DSC03481.jpg

DSC03492.jpg

DSC03494.jpg

DSC03496.jpg

DSC03498.jpg

DSC03497.jpg

DSC03500.jpg

DSC03501.jpg

DSC03508.jpg

DSC03511.jpg

DSC03513.jpg

DSC03514.jpg

DSC03517.jpg

DSC03519.jpg

I found some stuff I didn't like (and took a closer look at stuff I already knew was there) :cry:
DSC03502.jpg

DSC03503.jpg

DSC03504.jpg

DSC03486.jpg

DSC03483.jpg

DSC03482.jpg

DSC03485.jpg

Trunk area body mounts...
DSC03505.jpg

DSC03506.jpg

DSC03507.jpg

DSC03533.jpg

DSC03536.jpg

DSC03538.jpg

DSC03542.jpg

DSC03540.jpg

DSC03551.jpg

DSC03550.jpg

DSC03566.jpg

DSC03591.jpg

And my dad wanted a pic of me with the car :p
DSC03596.jpg

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Man i NEEDS me a Malibu! :lol: I love the way they look. Looks like quite of bit of work you have there. But i look forward to seeing the work getting done to it. I wish i could start doing the same to my GP..... Hopefully in a few years. What route are you going for the build? Good luck and keep the pics coming.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
:popcorn:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Boy those saw horses make me nervous like that...

Sucks about the rust, but it could definately be worse!

Glad to see the progress start on it... That might be a good color for my Olds wagon...

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
My only question is: Does anyone really use a 56k dialup connection anymore? I mean, I can't imagine that a 56k connection would even be usable with today's internet.

As for the Malibu, the rust issues do not look like fun! Good luck.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I may be out of line and I know you don't want to hear this but are there no Malibu's in AZ ??

For a Michigan or any NE car it's pretty typical for the rust and it can be re-built but surely there must be a better candidate where you are living now. It can't be easy working on your project when it's 1/2 a country away. Maybe patch it up, toss in your 350, and a nice For Sale sign will bring enough funds to buy a nice dry AZ car ??

Here in S.Ont we love to see cars from NM, TX, AZ, and Southern CA because they don't have the rust issues.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
I'm aiming for a pro-touring setup. Starting with the 350/4-speed in the '81, then probably stepping up the gears & getting a 5- or 6-speed, and eventually drop an LS motor in. I already have the springs, sway bars, and lower F41 bars (including the GP frame brace), just need to get the 4 engine compartment braces eventually. I have a set of tires, just need to get a set of Soft8s to put 'em on, it will probably look like this when it first sees the road:
Greenmalibu.jpg

I see your point 100% axisg, but I've done that once already with the '81 hoping to get one in slightly better shape, that didn't turn out though (obviously, the thing is falling apart :p). Also, I drove to MO for this one, & that's part of the reason I want to keep it. It may be easier to sell it & find one out here, but I'd have to save up the $ again, which over the past few years has been taking me quite a while with everything else that's going on in life. It's also done partially as a learning project. I have most of the stuff to fix the larger rust spots (around the A/C box and the door jamb) on the '81, and the rust in the trunk area isn't too extreme, I'll probably find a G-Body at the junkyard and have the trunk section cut out for that. Plus, part of my plan is a minitub for the rear, so it will likely be cut up one day anyway :p

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
My only question is: Does anyone really use a 56k dialup connection anymore? I mean, I can't imagine that a 56k connection would even be usable with today's internet.

As for the Malibu, the rust issues do not look like fun! Good luck.

My buddy who lives out in middle of nowhere can only get 56k internet service,Something is better then nothing i guess. :lol: Anyways i still would rather see a rusted out Bu get redone and put back into service then get crushed. Plus there is lot of learning to be done with metal fabrication skills etc etc. I like the Pro-touring route i am going the same way with my GP.. hopefully.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Darren my man,
it looks like an ambitious project. But fortunately you have youth on your side :) . You are going about it the right way. This car is certainly more solid than your other one. Are you back up in Michigan for awhile?

Get some practice with your welding and fabricating skills. Good luck, and post some progress pics.

Jack

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA

Thats what we have on our desktop. the parents are too cheap to pay for anything else... we don't have cable or sattelite tv either. I gave my own laptop and can pick up the neighbors wireless so its all good :lol: . The tv dilemma just makes me want to work on the car more since there is nothing to do inside.

Nice work on the Bu!! I really like that look your going for 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor