Project 85 Black 442 frame off restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
i'm just not used to all that rust coming from the south...you better than me bruh b/c i would've left that sh*t to rust away and stack my paper for one in good shape.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Wow! That's a lot of rust! I noticed it is a Canadian car by the French writing on the bottom of the decal, making me look a bit closer. Your RPO sticker in the trunk shows W82 - Extra fuel (canada), Z31 - pricing sheet (canada) and Z49 - Base Canadian equipment. Very cool...

So you want to talk about the fact there's only 3000 85 442s, couple that with the fact that it was sent to Canada, making it even rarer as there was only 200 to land there.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
69hurstolds said:
Wow! That's a lot of rust! I noticed it is a Canadian car by the French writing on the bottom of the decal, making me look a bit closer. Your RPO sticker in the trunk shows W82 - Extra fuel (canada), Z31 - pricing sheet (canada) and Z49 - Base Canadian equipment. Very cool...

So you want to talk about the fact there's only 3000 85 442s, couple that with the fact that it was sent to Canada, making it even rarer as there was only 200 to land there.

And now that explains the metric pressure and temp gauges. What is your opinion on keeping them or changing them out to American?

What makes it even more mysterious is it has a MPH speedo????

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
lg1200 said:
i'm just not used to all that rust coming from the south...you better than me bruh b/c i would've left that sh*t to rust away and stack my paper for one in good shape.

Paid 2,000 for it and I have a frame to start fresh on. Good thing is this is not a daily driver, got all the time to spend on it. If it were easy, it wouldnt have a story line to go with it after it is finished

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
tobyp said:
And now that explains the metric pressure and temp gauges. What is your opinion on keeping them or changing them out to American?

MY opinion?

Well, lessee...you have a 1 of 200 Canadian-bound 1985 442 (which the 442s were the only V8 Cutlasses delivered with an Olds V8 in Canada to best of my knowledge). You are going to be sinking quite a bit of money in a car that likely AT BEST may be worth 12-15K when done. Don't quote me on that because it all depends on market price. So 2K in already, you could proably sink 13K into it and MAYBE break even. So cost of restoration vs. value when complete...your call.

I'm going to be restoring my black 85 442 here in the near future, and I KNOW it will be a bad financial move, but I've already paid for the car new, so I'm already 16K into it!

IF you yank away its Canadian heritage, it may not be worth much being altered. Just depends on whether you're a purist or not.

Would I Americanize it? No. But I can't speak for anyone else.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
69hurstolds said:
tobyp said:

MY opinion?

Well, lessee...you have a 1 of 200 Canadian-bound 1985 442 (which the 442s were the only V8 Cutlasses delivered with an Olds V8 in Canada to best of my knowledge). You are going to be sinking quite a bit of money in a car that likely AT BEST may be worth 12-15K when done. Don't quote me on that because it all depends on market price. So 2K in already, you could proably sink 13K into it and MAYBE break even. So cost of restoration vs. value when complete...your call.

I'm going to be restoring my black 85 442 here in the near future, and I KNOW it will be a bad financial move, but I've already paid for the car new, so I'm already 16K into it!

IF you yank away its Canadian heritage, it may not be worth much being altered. Just depends on whether you're a purist or not.

Would I Americanize it? No. But I can't speak for anyone else.

It gets super strange. I have the owners manual where the car was purchased new near Columbus Ohio from a guy and he kept all the records in the back of the owners manual which agree with the carfax report.

So the car is a Canadian car which maybe was ordered by this guy and they brought it down to Ohio??

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It gets REAL weird. It may be where they somehow got the dealer to obtain the car somehow from Canada?

Maybe it didn't make it there? Which would really be odd either way. I'd be interested in how this got BACK over the border to sell new and didn't get caught.

The plot thickens...

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
Check the Vin number Oldsmobiles where made in Sainte Therese Quebec, Most likely what happen here was the car was built in Canada and sent to the UnitedStates to be sold. On a side note my uncle worked there and got a custom made GP so i'll ask him one day when he comes up from Quebec if 442 where made there aswell. I know 307's wernt put in canadian cars but mabey they shipped them to the factory from the states?

cutlassinSteTherese.jpg

Found a picture of the Canadian built oldsmobiles in ste therese, And to think that might be my car :mrgreen:

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
lg1200 said:

Well with only 3000 or so each year Gbody where made is one more to pass on . The car was not bad by the way .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor