Project 85 Black 442 frame off restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
YGspider said:
Check the Vin number Oldsmobiles where made in Sainte Therese Quebec, Most likely what happen here was the car was built in Canada and sent to the UnitedStates to be sold. On a side note my uncle worked there and got a custom made GP so i'll ask him one day when he comes up from Quebec if 442 where made there aswell. I know 307's wernt put in canadian cars but mabey they shipped them to the factory from the states?
This one was built in arlington. #1 beginning vin number = Usa made

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
This one was built in arlington. #1 beginning vin number = Usa made[/quote]

Oh okay yeh #2 is canada right? hmm Thats weird then.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Here are the metric gauges

Attachments

• IMAG2144.jpg
    IMAG2144.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,447

BuickOldsPontiac

Master Mechanic
Oct 14, 2011
Sterling Heights, MI
tobyp said:
Here are the metric gauges

You planned on keeping it completely stock anyway. I would definitely not change the gauges, it makes your car that much more unique. I am surprised that the speedometer isn't metric though. :?

I think it would be great to find out more on this car's story. Heck its a project within your project....

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Well here is the story. I was able to speak with the original owner. Her husband oassed recently so they sold the vehicle in may 2011.. the reason for the 442 miles it was bought by the dealership named Seshran? Sp. It was then delivered to America on the special order the original customer placed. Inreresting to find out the entire story about the car.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
For reference, no G-body 442 was made outside the U.S. Arlington for 85, Pontiac for 86/87.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Pics of "pinky the donor", with no pink left got the engine pulled, trans pulled and it is ready for powder coating or wire wheeling and painting.

IMAG2179-1.jpg

IMAG2191.jpg

IMAG2192.jpg

IMAG2193.jpg

IMAG2194.jpg

IMAG2195.jpg

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
In between converting my outside shed into a pull in barn for the Blue 81, to make room for the frame at my other home I have pulled the carpet back to see just some light surface rust in the floor pans and only one bad spot where some water has come into the inside. So I removed the rust primed and painted.

IMAG2199.jpg

IMAG2200.jpg

IMAG2201.jpg

IMAG2202.jpg

IMAG2203.jpg

IMAG2205.jpg

IMAG2206.jpg

IMAG2207.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just a tip. I bought a brand new 87 442 once and had a heckuva time getting a leak fixed that looks eerily similar to your floorpan. Turned out there was a weld section on the cowl that had an air pocket apparently in the seam sealer applied at the plant. Left a small entry point for water to drain in when it rained or you washed the car. It ran down the front by the emerg. brake pedal, found a trough, and settled in the rear floorboard. The front carpet felt dry. They changed T-top seals twice and could never find it. I finally got fed up and took out the carpet one day and had the wife spray the pee out of it all over the car and finally found it. Wasn't easy to reach with the fenders on, but if you remove the fenders, check out all your seam sealer.

Fader

Greasemonkey
Apr 29, 2011
Eastern Nebraska
Looking good! I will be observing your build, as I am currently resurecting a 85' 442 as well... Did the floor pans have any holes or strictly surface rust? My car has almost no rust on the entire body/frame, but does have some in the t.top area & the floor pans have about 10 very small holes...must be from water logged carpet, someone thought it would be a good idea to add a layer of carpet over the existing carpet... Keep up the good work @ I'd keep the Canadian gauges if they are original! Good tip 69hurst, I have my fenders off so I will check that out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor