BUILD THREAD Project Diesel No More/Teen Dreams Realized

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Here are a few more progress pics from the shop. The Holley accessory drive assembly is an impressive design. Headers are ceramic coated Hooker Blackheart. Valve covers will be black aluminum w/ silver fins, and coils will be relocated off the valve covers. Intake looks tall from this angle, but it is supposed to be the low rise version.
View attachment 197890 View attachment 197891 View attachment 197892 View attachment 197893
Not a fan of the modern intake under the hood of these cars but we all know how opinions go. You sure are doing things the right way. It's almost like you've been building this thing in your head for a while now :cool:

Reactions: 1 user

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Not a fan of the modern intake under the hood of these cars but we all know how opinions go. You sure are doing things the right way. It's almost like you've been building this thing in your head for a while now :cool:
I considered the classic style intake with old school air filter on top, but decided to go with the intended design. It helps that the shop owner is a good friend from my high school & college years. He has done everything from local bracket drag racing in the early 80s to running Porsches at Road Atlanta to Jeep trail runs. He has seen and done it all, and gives his honest assessment of what is worth the extra time & money and what's not. He also knows I've studied the GBody options in infinite detail, so he's open to what I've found. We're both having fun with this build. I wish I could do more of the wrench turning myself, but this way it will be finished faster and I know it is done right.

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I considered the classic style intake with old school air filter on top, but decided to go with the intended design. It helps that the shop owner is a good friend from my high school & college years. He has done everything from local bracket drag racing in the early 80s to running Porsches at Road Atlanta to Jeep trail runs. He has seen and done it all, and gives his honest assessment of what is worth the extra time & money and what's not. He also knows I've studied the GBody options in infinite detail, so he's open to what I've found. We're both having fun with this build. I wish I could do more of the wrench turning myself, but this way it will be finished faster and I know it is done right.
Nothing wrong w/this approach. Understanding our limitations & adjusting for them = progress which beats being stuck in the middle of something that hinders moving forward.

You acquired some really nice parts & secured an awesome starting point for the effort. You have done your research & it's apparent from my perspective.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Major milestone - the engine is in the car.
I had to make a quick decision on brakes last week. We considered a Wilwood 4 disc upgrade, but their front end kit comes with hubs with 1/2" studs. The oem studs are 7/16", which is the size the Year One 17" SSII wheels are set up for. So, to use the Wilwood kit would have required boring out the wheels and obtaining 1/2" lugs & nuts. Not grossly expensive, but something I didn't really want to do. So I looked at the other disc brake upgrade options available & decided on the SSBC rear disc conversion kit and their 2 piston caliper upgrade for the front, which will keep the stock disc. It's not as much of a performance upgrade as the Wilwood, but should be adequate for my purposes (weekend driver, occasional 1/8 or 1/4 fun run at car shows, etc.) I'm not a fan of colored calipers on the GBody, so I just went with black. Hopefully the brake kits will be delivered quickly so we can stay on track to get the car done in the next few weeks. I'm hoping to be driving it this summer.
36302.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Things are moving along pretty quickly. Engine & transmission are in the car, some plumbing and wiring was happening last week. I ordered a Dakota Digital dash, which is mostly analog style gauges similar in appearance to the oem, but with digital odometer and more functions. I was told about Dakota Digital having a module that would allow direct connection between the Holley Terminator ECU and the dash, so that should make the dash setup a little more streamlined. I'm also adding a DD cruise control, because it is an hour+ drive by highway or backroad to anywhere from my house. Overall, I'm very pleased with the pace of the project. If all goes well, we could hear this engine running by end of month.
36438.jpeg 36437.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Are you running a stock cam in this beauty?

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Are you running a stock cam in this beauty?
Not stock, but I don't currently have the specs on the camshaft upgrade. I gave Kerry (the shop owner) the go ahead for a "mild" upgrade while they were doing their tear down and inspection, and left it to his discretion to select the manufacturer and specs. I will share when I get the details.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Well, a cam upgrade is definitely needed and all I have to add is

SS2 the WORLD

Ha

Reactions: 1 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Camshaft info - Stage 2 Torquer for 2200 stall. Atech supplied, but he couldn't recall offhand which brand cam they decided on. One of his techs did the ordering.

I was discussing this with another friend recently - as far as what propels, supports or steers the car, the Hydroboost, steering box and linkages and portions of the brake system are about all that will remain original. They were able to clean and reuse the fuel tank, which surprised me. I assumed they'd just get a new one since we are changing from diesel. Not sure if the oem driveshaft fit or had to be trimmed or replaced.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor