Project first muscle build Skull wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystery_man

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2012
Well figured out my plan till more funds come up. I am going to drop in the 5.3 n/a attached to my 200-4R. I got a ford 9in from a bronco with posi and 411 gears. I am going to get the Moto metal 18x9 5/5.5 -12 offset 4.5 backspace skull wheels and paint my 15in front slots black.

I am just trying to figure out what cam I want to go with or stick with the stocker till I turbo.

Mystery_man

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2012
Well finally got something done this weekend. I have been cleaning the sh*t out of this car. Trying to get it ready, so that I don't have to worry about everything being greasy for the swap. I actually took pictures this time. lol

This is what I got done on Friday after a couple hours of scrubbing everything down. Car was very dirty still from the previous owner and the ride from Colorado to Ohio.

The bay

There were lots of bugs and paint splatter from a friend spraying his interior with a sound deadener like a maniac. Came out ok for the time being. I can't wait till I get the top repainted.

Back wheel after a little love.

Front wheel after a little love. I couldn't stand how bad they where. They were almost black from the road grime and brake dust.

These pictures are from today.

I plan on doing some touching up everything while I have the wheel off. I will get the wire wheel out and then paint it flat black to hide road grime. This isn't a show car just my daily driver with some go.

Here is a pic of the left side 99 2wd blazer brakes that I installed in Colorado. I think I may just replace these pads just so I can get something that doesn't throw so much dust. May use the caliper paint in silver or red. Don't know yet on that.

This is the first time I have ever tried to repair and polish wheels. It is taking me much longer than I thought. If anyone has some pointers please speak up. Lots of work in this one wheel on Friday, but this is what I started with today.

These road rash marks that the previous owner left me are a pain to get out. They are slowly sanding out.

Before

Half hour later

Finished with just that one area.

I wanted to get a coat of paint on the back side to see what the slots and back would look like flat black. I like the way it turned out and will be doing this for all of the wheels.

Before

After

Small difference, but I still like it better for ease of cleaning.

Not much progress, but with a newborn I don't have much time for the wagon. I am still looking for the last bit of parts, so I can put the rear end in. Some are more costly then I thought they would be. Also have to replace the gear box now that it is going out. I think it is time to say bye bye to powersteering and get an S10 manual gear box. Good exercise too. lol

Mystery_man

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2012
Oh and now that I have the option to use a truck pattern for the rear I will be using the wheels that sparked this adventure.

Moto metal skull wheels 18x9 -12 offset It gives me close to the 4.5 in back spacing, so may have to use small spacers but will see.

I was also looking at fabrics for the interior and will be using skulls for the head liner, black for the pillars, and vinyl black paint for the other lower portions and dash.

This is the headliner fabric I may use.

http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/1904397

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
I tried sanding the lips on my T/A wheels, but after hours spent sanding one wheel, I gave up. If you're nit-picky like I am, be prepared. Lol.

Mystery_man

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2012
Kansas Bu Wagon said:
I tried sanding the lips on my T/A wheels, but after hours spent sanding one wheel, I gave up. If you're nit-picky like I am, be prepared. Lol.

I am a perfectionist, so I guess I have lots to look forward to then. Lol

Mystery_man

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2012
Well got a couple things done yesterday. I put in a new PS gear box and black seat belts. I got a set of front frame bars. GP bars..? There is an 84 cutless and another cutless supreme there. If you need anything from them pm me.

Mystery_man

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2012
Well didn't get everything that I wanted this check because my dog ate some of my meds. Damn thing is suicidal. Lol

I got 2 American Racing outlaw II wheels for cheap in the bronco pattern for the time being till I get the funds for the wheels that I really want. I will hopefully be able to find a matching set in my brother in laws barn. Don't know yet. I hope to be able to put in the ford 9 in and hitch here soon. I had to get the last of the parts for the bronco drums till I can get a set of ls1 brakes. Kids and animals kill the wallet. Lol

sbc383rulz

Apprentice
Jul 1, 2013
Western Washington
for the slots i polished up a set using a green scrub pad for the deep stuff then a powerball and mothers polish for the final, they didnt come out looking great but it was definitely an improvement!! car looks great bud!

Mystery_man

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2012
Well today was a fulfilling day for the wagon project. I got the mounts for the 9in welded on a couple days ago. Some family and I started the swap.

Started with a 7.5 rear end that was on its last leg

We started by taking the drums off and had a leaky wheel cylinder already. Good thing this is all getting replaced by ford 11in drums.

Old rear end came out fairly easy and turned the axle to see what it sounded like. It was like a rattle toy I just bought my boy. lol

I think there is something missing but can't pin point it.

While two of us were taking out the rear end. Our resident expert was getting the brake lines ran.

I was able to use my GM block that had my new SS braided line.

I went with a set of Outlaw 2 wheels for now till I can afford the wheels that I really want. I have two in 5x5.5 pattern and two 5x4.75 pattern.

Moking it up to see if I put the mounts on correct, but top ones were a wee bit off. Lowers were dead on.

We cut off the top mounts and put them in the upper control arms set the pinion angle then tacked in place.

The day before my saw zaw slipped and cut off my axle back and made it straight piped. opps oh well sounds good.

We stopped for the night since I was missing mic nuts and bolts. Also the little stubby arms that the wheel cylinders push on to engage the shoes. I have no idea how to hook up the e brake cables. I may just not use them.

I will update tomorrow with a video and the finalization of the install. Hopefully the motor build will start soon once I find a job around here.

Mystery_man

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2012
Also I am able to use the stock u joint and drive shaft. There was no need to shorten it. Using the 200-4R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor