PROJECT "LAID BACK" - 1978 CENTURY 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
I understood the regal headliner was too short for a century. Width wise was the same.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I understood the regal headliner was too short for a century. Width wise was the same.
Exactly...that's why I will have to section a Regal headliner, and add some more board material, and then upholster it myself. One of the last things I will do , unless a Aero headliner pops up. Everyone please keep your eyes / ears open for me. Most 40 year old headliners are shot, and nobody makes a reproduction, Yet...

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
My Week 3 update will be a smaller one, as all I'm able to do is continue to gather parts. It's been raining, it seems all month long, so the car has stayed covered with the battery tender keeping it alive. So parts gathered :

- Metro roof rail seals - Ebay had these for $55, luckily I searched the part # and found them on Amazon for $27 (WTF), I work for Amazon, used my discount $24 delivered.
- Quadrajet carb from 1970 BBB 455 automatic ( It's a core and will need a rebuild ) - Free from a friend that I have purchased parts from before.
- Turbo 350 transmission. It's technically a 350C, as it has the lock up converter. This may be a compromise to my 3-speed / 4-speed delimma, as I can bolt this in the car with no issues, It's cheap to build, and I can lock the converter to lower my RPM's for highway cruising. It MAY make it into the car. It's complete, and the price was right. Free from the same friend that I have purchased parts from before.

Going into the 1st of the month, funds will be tighter the next couple weeks, so I need to sell some things.... into the attic I go! Thanks guys for the support, ideas, and comments.

Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
My Week 3 update will be a smaller one, as all I'm able to do is continue to gather parts. It's been raining, it seems all month long, so the car has stayed covered with the battery tender keeping it alive. So parts gathered :

- Metro roof rail seals - Ebay had these for $55, luckily I searched the part # and found them on Amazon for $27 (WTF), I work for Amazon, used my discount $24 delivered.
- Quadrajet carb from 1970 BBB 455 automatic ( It's a core and will need a rebuild ) - Free from a friend that I have purchased parts from before.
- Turbo 350 transmission. It's technically a 350C, as it has the lock up converter. This may be a compromise to my 3-speed / 4-speed delimma, as I can bolt this in the car with no issues, It's cheap to build, and I can lock the converter to lower my RPM's for highway cruising. It MAY make it into the car. It's complete, and the price was right. Free from the same friend that I have purchased parts from before.

Going into the 1st of the month, funds will be tighter the next couple weeks, so I need to sell some things.... into the attic I go! Thanks guys for the support, ideas, and comments.
TH350c has specific shift kits and converters, beware.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
TH350c has specific shift kits and converters, beware.
I've been researching... that's why it was free, and MAY make into the car. I will gather other cores, and make up my mind shortly. Thanks for looking out, much appreciated!

Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hup-gm25l/overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-30235/overview/

https://www.jegs.com/i/Hughes-Performance/512/HP3298/10002/-1

Options... any comments / advice on this setup?? Again, this transmission was free, so If it does not fit the bill, no loss - no worries. Cost $4 in gas to go pick it up.
That torque converter is a chevy, on Buicks they use bolts only, not bolts and nuts. IE the converter has threaded pads for the bolts. Beware of that.

Trans Go Kits are better, and better for the transmission. They accomplish the same task, but the trans go does it in a safer way for the trans.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trg-350c-1-2/overview/

That overhaul kit seems like a good deal. Have you rebuilt a transmission before? It's not super hard, but it can go wrong very easily.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Sure enough, I see the bolt issue you're talking about on the stock converter I have here. NOTED! That TransGo kit has 5 stars, so they must agree with you.
So option ( A ) TH350c - B&M rebuild kit ( or equivalent )
- TransGo 1&2 shift kit
- BOP specific 2500 stall for TH350c
I have no experience in rebuilding transmissions, but I have that covered, as my GN buddy is a transmission builder by trade.
Can someone in the Des Moines area buy MrSony a beer :):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor