PROJECT "LAID BACK" - 1978 CENTURY 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm thinking Painting it silver or white, and blacking out all the chrome, and trim ( bumpers, grill, handles, lock cylinders, windshield trim, etc. ) . All Black interior, black wheels, rebuilt stock suspension, and bushings, and an LS swap, and cruise the sh@t out of it. Use all the GBody swap tricks. This could change by the time I get to it, but that's the way I'm leaning as of now. I want to know what you guys would do??
My opinion on it would be not to go black but a meduim dark charcoal exterior trim on a white body (but I have disovered Toyota 8W2 Cavalry Blue which I would of used.) Gotta use a turbo hood, smooth & tuck the bumpers, say go with the rear spoiler but those are really hard to find. GNX wheels in 16" but 17" look alikes would work. Some custom Century decals in a stock emblem size in the original locations to add a little detail to the sides. Kinda on the fence on suggesting some sorta stripe for it. Can never go wrong with black interiors with cloth seating surfaces.

Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
My opinion on it would be not to go black but a meduim dark charcoal exterior trim on a white body (but I have disovered Toyota 8W2 Cavalry Blue which I would of used.) Gotta use a turbo hood, smooth & tuck the bumpers, say go with the rear spoiler but those are really hard to find. GNX wheels in 16" but 17" look alikes would work. Some custom Century decals in a stock emblem size in the original locations to add a little detail to the sides. Kinda on the fence on suggesting some sorta stripe for it. Can never go wrong with black interiors with cloth seating surfaces.
All good ideas. The turbo hood, and rear spoiler are a must. Thanks for your input.

Interior & topside looks a little toasty, but on the bright side, looks pretty rust-free! (y)
That's what 40 years in the Arizona sun will do.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Very cool car James! Congratulations. I like the IROC wheels on the car. I know they are not correct for a Buick but I don't think a set of the 17" version would look bad at all. I like the dark color on it as well. An LS swap, T56 Magnum and 3.42 gears would make that car pretty fun to drive. Definitely need the BOP style side exit exhaust or even dumps behind the rear axle so you don't see the exhaust system. Looking forward to seeing it in person (hopefully) and see that S10 of yours. Let Sean and I know if you need a hand.

Best,

Jared

Last edited:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm anxious to see how this project turns out. :popcorn:
You gotta keep us curious guys updated;)

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Very cool car James! Congratulations. I like the IROC wheels on the car. I know they are not correct for a Buick but I don't think a set of the 17" version would look bad at all. I like the dark color on it as well. An LS swap, T56 Magnum and 3.42 gears would make that car pretty fun to drive. Definitely need the BOP style side exit exhaust or even dumps behind the rear axle so you don't see the exhaust system. Looking forward to seeing it in person (hopefully) and see that S10 of yours. Let Sean and I know if you need a hand.

Best,

Jared
Thanks Jared. I already have the IROC's saved in "My Ebay", since day 1. Glad you agree! Since the GN is black, and the S10 is charcoal in color, I am leaning toward a lighter color for the Century ( silver or white ). The black trim will match the IROC wheels very nicely, and will contrast with a black interior. I have not done an LS swap before, so it will happen this time. Since I'm not concerned with originality, anything goes! Jared, you and Sean are welcome anytime!
I'm anxious to see how this project turns out. :popcorn:
You gotta keep us curious guys updated;)
Thanks Jack. You know I'm a picture-taker, so It will be documented right here! This project will be a little slower, since I have an S10 pickup to finish up. After this years show season is done, I will retire the GN to just specific events, which will free up major time, and the money that keeps it at the top, in it's class. Jack, the next time I'm in Jacksonville, I'm looking you up!

Thanks to all that have responded. I'm looking forward to getting to know more of you, and I think this car will allow that to happen. I will need help from you guys to source parts, and gain knowledge on the LS swap, so I do not make mistakes that waste time and money. Please keep the comments, and ideas coming.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I like the sound of the plan, have to agree with going almost gunmetal or dark grey on the trim pieces since so many people are doing the black. But think both would look good

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor