PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Boxes at the door when I came home this evening. As stated in another thread I started about rear differential covers, I have decided to go with the stock rear cover, paint it nicely, and install some ARP stainless bolts. That will free up some money to use somewhere else. I did... I bought the torque converter while it was on sale, and the steering column bearing that has been discussed on the Forum here lately.

IMG_1274.JPG

This Jegs converter has really good reviews, and should stall somewhere in the 2000-2200 rpm range. It should work just fine with my mild 403 with 9.5:1 compression, 204/214 cam in a lightweight car with 3.08 gears. Just a cruiser...:giggle:

I pick up my 8.5 tomorrow, and another little surprise...

Reactions: 7 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, those Jegs converters sound really nice for the money. I might go the size up on my 70S with the 403 stroker.

Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
The 8.5 rear axle is back from the rebuild. My friend said it was really clean inside, and the G80 posi unit and axles, looked good. A new Motive Gear bearing kit was installed, and my 3.73 gear set was traded for his 3.08 gears. I will clean and paint the entire assembly, install the new brake hardware kit, new brake shoes, new wheel studs, GN aluminum drums, and finish it with ARP stainless rear cover bolts, and a FelPro gasket. I have about $570 in the whole deal ( including the purchase price ).

This was the little surprise I came home with. A lightly used Jegs Turbo 350 dual exhaust crossmember. I met the seller in Dallas, on the way to pick up the rear axle. $80. Not a great deal, since these sell new for $125, but a good solid piece, that will hopefully match up nicely with the Jegs dual exhaust system I have had since a few of us bought that closeout deal several months ago.
IMG_1275.JPG

I got the tail light harness done today.
IMG_1276.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

I now have the Head light, Tail light, and Engine harnesses done.

I also got (26) rivets removed from the rocker panels. I used a Dremel with a thin cutoff wheel. This created very little heat, and only took 8-10 seconds to remove each one.
IMG_1278.JPG

Next big thing is to get my transmission rebuilt. I have another buddy who is a transmission builder by trade, and he owes me a favor for all the work I send his way. I will buy all the parts from my employer, and give him a little cash for his labor. I hope to have that done next month, while I do some body work.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Wow, $570 total for a completely rebuilt G body 8.5" is insanely cheap. The dual hump crossmember is a nice score, since there is no factory option.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Got caught up on your build last night between the trick or treaters....nice progress James! Excellent scores on the aluminum core support and the 8.5 diff...among other parts!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Got caught up on your build last night between the trick or treaters....nice progress James! Excellent scores on the aluminum core support and the 8.5 diff...among other parts!
Thanks Kevin. Nice to see you active on the Forum again. Hope you're doing well, my friend.👋

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I got a little done this weekend. The car is now completely gutted. I removed the door panels, steering column, and complete dash assembly. I broke a clip on the speaker cover, broke (2) clip on the dash trim above the glove box... As good of shape as the dash was in, it is still (41) years old, and brittle. I labeled every connector, and bagged all the hardware. I'm almost ready to take the body off the frame. Hoping the body mount bolts don't give me problems.

I got the 8.5" painted today. I started with a screw driver, and got the crud off it, the used a (3) different (3", 2", 1" cylinder) wire wheels on my drill to attack the rust.

IMG_1286.JPG

I removed the brake line, posi ID tag, and the rubber snubbers. I gave it 3 coats of primer.

IMG_1302.JPG

Then (3) coats of paint.

IMG_1309.JPG

Kinda crappy pic. It looks pretty good... for a cruiser. When it dries, I still have a little work to do. I'll pull the cover, and do a little more sanding around the bolt holes, give it another coat of paint, then install the stainless ARP bolts, and my freshly polished Posi ID tag.

Here's what I used.

IMG_1307.JPG

This NAPA (Martin-Senour) paint was much cheaper than VHT, or Eastwood, and it's in stock at my local NAPA store. I'll do the frame, and suspension with it also.

I have a new tool being delivered tomorrow. And I'm also travelling this weekend... It is not GBody related, but I'll post pics of my new project :blam: :doh:Why...

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The body mount bolts on this sedan all came out by hand, and weren't even thin in any location! Gotta love being in the southern tiers of the states.

Ij8SNy.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I just jumped on FB Marketplace (cause I REALLY need another car/project) and lookie...twinsies!

74912307_10221249682537041_4491109716444839936_n.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I just jumped on FB Marketplace (cause I REALLY need another car/project) and lookie...twinsies!

74912307_10221249682537041_4491109716444839936_n.jpg
Where is that one located?? It's in pretty good shape. You should buy it.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor