PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I wonder if Anubis remembers what his piston to wall clearance was on the 403 he built. It had the same pistons and I believe he mentioned there was some scuffing on his pistons. Yeah, .001" I'd bad news, .003 should be acceptable. Bigger clearance is the reason I decided against 2618 pistons.

Reactions: 2 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I wonder if Anubis remembers what his piston to wall clearance was on the 403 he built. It had the same pistons and I believe he mentioned there was some scuffing on his pistons. Yeah, .001" I'd bad news, .003 should be acceptable. Bigger clearance is the reason I decided against 2618 pistons.
Yes, go big on the clearances. 3 cylinders on my 403 had minor scuffing on the cylinder walls. Not enough to effect compression but was still a concern. It really pissed me off considering the cost of the build. You have a good memory Christian!

Reactions: 3 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
The weather finally cooperated last weekend, so I was able to move forward with some engine assembly prep. I started by chasing every thread on the block.
IMG_2313.JPG

IMG_2314.JPG

Then I masked off the engine. Remember the "file" trick... works like a charm every time.
IMG_2315.JPG

IMG_2317.JPG

I used Dupli-color Cast Iron engine enamel. I always do black or red, so this time I wanted something different. I think it will look good when accented with the silver Cerakoted intake, exhaust manifolds, serpentine brackets & black accessories with polished stainless bolts. It might not be everyone's favorite, but it's different, and I haven't done it before.
IMG_2318.JPG

IMG_2319.JPG

I got the Inline Tube front timing cover painted.
IMG_2330.JPG

Inspected the Melling oil pump for any debris left inside. Nada, but take a look at the old stocker... pick up is full of nylon from the original cam sprocket. I like the Melling pick up, as it bolts on. Back in the day on my chevy's we would press the new pick up into the pump, and tack weld in place. Not this time... Thanks Melling!
IMG_2328.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2327.JPG

I have the oil pan painted, and some engine assembly items & gaskets laid out for tomorrow.
IMG_2331.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Love it James!
My OCD brother from another mother.
👍🏻

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
No balls to use an impact wrench with those thread chasers... :)

Lookin' good!!! Although on the bottom of that block, you're going to have some areas without paint along the oil pan rails. You'll see when you yank the tape and put the pan on. Nothing a quick spritz wouldn't fix, though.

Interesting choice with the color.

Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Love it James!
My OCD brother from another mother.
👍🏻
Thanks Donovan. It's the only way I know how to do it 🤷‍♂️
No balls to use an impact wrench with those thread chasers... :)

Lookin' good!!! Although on the bottom of that block, you're going to have some areas without paint along the oil pan rails. You'll see when you yank the tape and put the pan on. Nothing a quick spritz wouldn't fix, though.

Interesting choice with the color.
HaHa No impacto... I have a couple areas to spot paint after I get it assembled.

Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I got a little more done today. Started by applying Lubriplate to the oil pump gears. Reinstalled the oil pump cover using blue Loctite. Assembled the bolt on pick up screen using blue Loctite. I mounted the pump to the block, and checked clearance to the oil pan. It contacted the pan. So I laid the Milodon fiber gasket on the block, and re checked - not good enough. Melling suggests 3/8" of clearance, so I had to tweak it the pick up screen with a large crescent wrench. I bent it ever so carefully until I got the clearance I needed. I checked it using Playdoh. I placed it on on the pick up screen, then pushed the pan down by hand to compress the Playdoh - remove pan and measure the thickness of the Playdoh - .372 was where I ended up. Torqued it to 6.8 ft/lbs. ( Using stainless studs & antisieze ) I have a 10-100 ft/lb digital torque wrench, and 6.8 is the lowest I could adjust ) I installed the timing cover seal using Ultra black RTV, and a block of wood. Next I installed the oil slinger, front timing cover and torqued the upper 5/16" bolts to 22 ft/lbs & the lower 3/8" bolts to 35 ft/lbs. Next I used some motor oil to lubricate the timing cover seal, and antisieze on the crank snout, and installed the harmonic balancer. PRW says 160 ft/lbs. I got no way to keep the motor from turning over while trying to apply that much torque, so I hit it with a 1/2" impact gun 🤷‍♂️. I now have a fully assembled short block.
IMG_2332.JPG

IMG_2334.JPG

IMG_2335.JPG

IMG_2337.JPG

The mismatched bolts are temporary. I am still waiting on my Flowkooler water pump, and the water pump bolts are too long, so I used these shorter bolts to seal & cure the timing cover until I can mount the water pump.
IMG_2338.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
James, i have a few holders, and I could also spot you later on, when it's off the stand and the flywheel is on. Just let me know. Pics didn't load for me. Gonna try again. Sounds like awesome progress.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Pics are not loading for me brother.

• Agree

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Agreed. No pics- so I'm not believing your cool story, bro. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor