PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Hopefully the USA Anchor mounts fit, please report any issues, there have been fitment issues.

Reactions: 3 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
P*ssies. Just borrow some of those plastic tie-wrap handcuffs from the Portland, OR police. They sure as hell ain't going to use them. :)

37715135_2010647508966014_4148141708682461184_n-jpg.48634
If you need more than what Portland can supply, Seattle is only a three hour drive north.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Hopefully the USA Anchor mounts fit, please report any issues, there have been fitment issues.
I should have my engine back very soon. The machine shop called me yesterday about degreeing the cam, and confirmed that I was the one who will be painting the engine. I test fitted the engine mounts to the frame brackets yesterday, and saw no issues. The real test will be when I bolt it in. I will report back on the fitment.

Reactions: 5 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
This is a good sign, the Chinese made Anchor mounts seem to need the holes wallowed to even bolt to the block.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Picked up the 408" SBO today.

IMG_2279.JPG

Good machine work is not cheap. I posted this for educational purposes. To let people know what to expect when building a motor. You may pay more or less in your area. I am not afraid to post what I paid.

Assuming I have no issues with this motor, I could not be happier with this machine shop. Guy is super cool, never rushed me, respected the research I had done, used the bearings & rings that I wanted to use, set up clearances to my spec. His communication far exceeded any expectations I had. Sent me videos of block being bored, cam being degreed, and rear main seal install. Never asked me for any money up front, and gave me a discount for paying cash. I paid $2100. Most important to me... He told me (4) weeks, and guess what?? It was done on time!! Video coming soon...

• Winner
Reactions: 12 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The lead technician at the little shop by my office that does all the work on our survey trucks recommended that shop to me. I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with them. I guess that's who I'll use if/when I need machine work. Who turned you onto them?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Also, I'm excited to see you got your shortblock. We need pics!

• Agree

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Wow, we always hear of horror stories about machine shop timelines, lack of communication, etc. It’s great to see you found an honest guy and are spreading that info.

It certainly is refreshing to find and deal with honest people.

Did he supply you with a recommended break in procedure?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah it just shows all the processes in rebuilding a motor adds up. My costs will be similar. I assume external balancing? I am expecting that to be my most expensive single process. You should see the hack job on Classic Olds a shop did to a guys Olds 350. They machined a cracked block and then damaged a couple his DSS pistons. His rods are blue from heat which probably is OK but looks bad. On top of that his valve heights are all over the place on his heads. He asked them if they had a valve height gauge and says he mentioned crack checking multiple times.

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor