PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
So I have been a little lazy updating this build thread, but I have made some progress.
I got the Holley Hyperspark coil. I'm not sure where I'm going to mount this yet. If anybody has any pics of their coil installed. Post them up.
IMG_2430.JPG

IMG_2429.JPG

I got a new AC Delco windshield antenna lead from a Forum Member. I bet this item gets overlooked a lot. Not this time...
IMG_2424.JPG

I also got a very nice set of used 40k mile original GM black door handles, and key cylinders w/ original GM keys from a friend that totaled his GN show car. I will be blacking out all the trim on this car, so I'm very happy to have these. This beats aftermarket junk all day long!
IMG_2446.JPG

I got Joe's donated closed impellar H/D water pump cleaned and painted. It will make a great spare. Between Joe's water pump, and the Flowkooler, they should last the lifetime of this car (and me) :ROFLMAO: .
IMG_2414.JPG
Cleaned on the wire wheel, and painted.

I got the Flowkooler water pump, I waited (10) weeks for. You can see their aluminum multi-vein, military grade 2 anodized impeller. I painted it to match the block & heads. Also got the Robert Shaw 180 high flow thermostat. It's supposed to be the best... 🤷‍♂️

IMG_2460.JPG

IMG_2463.JPG

IMG_2464.JPG

I also got my Inline Tube aftermarket dip stick tube installed. This thing gave me a hard time. You can see the (2) ribs that need to go into the block to seal. They would not... My service manual says to install a 1/4-20 bolt into the tube, and drive the tube into the block, by hitting the bolt head with a hammer ( this protects the tube ). It would not! I had to use some emory cloth to sand the ribs down. (10) twirls around the tube and check. (10) more and check. again and again... Finally got it in nice and tight. These aftermarket parts... :wtf:
IMG_2411.JPG

I installed the rest of the valve train. After adjusting all the valves, I determined that custom length pushrods are NOT needed!! Jim Lapikas told me ( before he got silly ) that these longer Comp Cams push rods were a match for the longer length valves. Everything seems to be good here. ARP screw in studs - Comp Cams guide plates - Comp Cams roller tip rockers - Edelbrock valve springs.

I installed the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold using ARP 12 point stainless bolts. Another mild headache here, but I prevailed. The ARP bolts are great, but the runner size/casting is larger than stock, so bolt head clearance is an issue on (2) bolts. On (1) of the bolts, I had to grind down my 3/8" 12 point box end wrench on the grinder to get the bolt tight ( no big deal - I used my Harbor Freight wrench :ROFLMAO: ). On the 2nd bolt, It required a lot more effort... I had to grind the ARP bolt head flange down with my bench grinder, shorten the bolt 3/16", grind the washer down, and grind the runner on my freshly coated intake. Luckily it's on the back side of the runner, and since the intake is silver, you can hardly even tell. Geezzz!

I installed the March billet oil filler tube. I used a few drops of oil on the tube, and a block of wood wrapped in a towel, and tapped it into the block using a dead blow hammer.

AC Delco temp sensor, Robert Shaw thermostat, thermostat housing are all installed onto the intake manifold.

So here is where I'm at...
IMG_2483.JPG

IMG_2484.JPG

IMG_2485.JPG

On another note. I have gotten a flush mount bezel for the Holley 3.5" screen. I will flush mount this bezel into my center dash bezel. The overall size of the bezel's flange was too big, but I knew I could customize this to fit by trimming the flange around the bezel.
IMG_2450.JPG
It's a 3D printed item, I found on Ebay.
IMG_2451.JPG

(10) mimutes on the bench grinder, and a quick block sand, and I'm pretty close... My bezel is warped, so I'm waiting on a replacement from Kevin to get here from Canada, to finish this out.
IMG_2455.JPG
I have several items on order, but I will be waiting on Holley again... 6.86 Pro Dash, in-tank electric fuel pump, and Hyperspark ignition box. None of this was in stock. That's all for now. Questions. comments, and concerns... always welcome ✌️

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 14 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
That SBO is looking FINE!!

Is it getting olds script valve covers, going aluminum or??

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Looks really good. Yeah, replacement dipstick tubes either fit loose, most of the chrome replacements or fit tight like the Inline Tube, Supercars Unlimited and Spectra chrome. How do like the fit and how the cap goes on the March filler tube? Maybe I should finish the bankruptcy and get one.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
So I have been a little lazy updating this build thread, but I have made some progress.
I got the Holley Hyperspark coil. I'm not sure where I'm going to mount this yet. If anybody has any pics of their coil installed. Post them up.
View attachment 175486
View attachment 175487

I got a new AC Delco windshield antenna lead from a Forum Member. I bet this item gets overlooked a lot. Not this time...
View attachment 175488

I also got a very nice set of used 40k mile original GM black door handles, and key cylinders w/ original GM keys from a friend that totaled his GN show car. I will be blacking out all the trim on this car, so I'm very happy to have these. This beats aftermarket junk all day long!
View attachment 175489

I got Joe's donated closed impellar H/D water pump cleaned and painted. It will make a great spare. Between Joe's water pump, and the Flowkooler, they should last the lifetime of this car (and me) :ROFLMAO: .
View attachment 175500 Cleaned on the wire wheel, and painted.

I got the Flowkooler water pump, I waited (10) weeks for. You can see their aluminum multi-vein, military grade 2 anodized impeller. I painted it to match the block & heads. Also got the Robert Shaw 180 high flow thermostat. It's supposed to be the best... 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 175502
View attachment 175509
View attachment 175510
I also got my Inline Tube aftermarket dip stick tube installed. This thing gave me a hard time. You can see the (2) ribs that need to go into the block to seal. They would not... My service manual says to install a 1/4-20 bolt into the tube, and drive the tube into the block, by hitting the bolt head with a hammer ( this protects the tube ). It would not! I had to use some emory cloth to sand the ribs down. (10) twirls around the tube and check. (10) more and check. again and again... Finally got it in nice and tight. These aftermarket parts... :wtf:
View attachment 175519

I installed the rest of the valve train. After adjusting all the valves, I determined that custom length pushrods are NOT needed!! Jim Lapikas told me ( before he got silly ) that these longer Comp Cams push rods were a match for the longer length valves. Everything seems to be good here. ARP screw in studs - Comp Cams guide plates - Comp Cams roller tip rockers - Edelbrock valve springs.

I installed the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold using ARP 12 point stainless bolts. Another mild headache here, but I prevailed. The ARP bolts are great, but the runner size/casting is larger than stock, so bolt head clearance is an issue on (2) bolts. On (1) of the bolts, I had to grind down my 3/8" 12 point box end wrench on the grinder to get the bolt tight ( no big deal - I used my Harbor Freight wrench :ROFLMAO: ). On the 2nd bolt, It required a lot more effort... I had to grind the ARP bolt head flange down with my bench grinder, shorten the bolt 3/16", grind the washer down, and grind the runner on my freshly coated intake. Luckily it's on the back side of the runner, and since the intake is silver, you can hardly even tell. Geezzz!

I installed the March billet oil filler tube. I used a few drops of oil on the tube, and a block of wood wrapped in a towel, and tapped it into the block using a dead blow hammer.

AC Delco temp sensor, Robert Shaw thermostat, thermostat housing are all installed onto the intake manifold.

So here is where I'm at...
View attachment 175512
View attachment 175513
View attachment 175514

On another note. I have gotten a flush mount bezel for the Holley 3.5" screen. I will flush mount this bezel into my center dash bezel. The overall size of the bezel's flange was too big, but I knew I could customize this to fit by trimming the flange around the bezel.
View attachment 175515 It's a 3D printed item, I found on Ebay.
View attachment 175516
(10) mimutes on the bench grinder, and a quick block sand, and I'm pretty close... My bezel is warped, so I'm waiting on a replacement from Kevin to get here from Canada, to finish this out.
View attachment 175517 I have several items on order, but I will be waiting on Holley again... 6.86 Pro Dash, in-tank electric fuel pump, and Hyperspark ignition box. None of this was in stock. That's all for now. Questions. comments, and concerns... always welcome ✌️
Great uodate. The detail on the engine is beautiful. The real-deal door handles and locks are a real find.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
You can also modify a Lokar LS dickstick to fit. I may have one, as the new engine's Canton pan has a fitting in the sump, and I don't know if mine will work now.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
That SBO is looking FINE!!

Is it getting olds script valve covers, going aluminum or??
Thanks!! I have tried to buy the script valve covers a few times, and every time I find them they have dents in them. I really wanted the script covers, but for now. I'm going to paint the ones you see on the engine. I have some reproduction Olds Rocket valve cover stickers that I will apply after I paint. Still looking for script, so if anybody has a nice set... I'm a buyer!

Reactions: 4 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Looks really good. Yeah, replacement dipstick tubes either fit loose, most of the chrome replacements or fit tight like the Inline Tube, Supercars Unlimited and Spectra chrome. How do like the fit and how the cap goes on the March filler tube? Maybe I should finish the bankruptcy and get one.
The fit of the oil filler tube is really good. I had no problem installing it. It has a o-ring to seal against the block. The cap is knurled, and threads on very easily. Nice quality piece. I had to have it 🤣

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
My only recommendation on the Olds build - if you're ultimately going to install the Pro Dash, then I'd recommend mounting the 3.5" dash on a windshield cell phone mount. The Pro Dash looks much better than the 3.5" screen in terms of graphics. I've seen a couple of builds with the Holley dashes in them and the touch screen is better out of sight (glovebox) or just unhooked.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the new Pro Dash, that you're waiting on, has 3, 4 or 5 displays that you can arrow through correct? You'll have multiple screens at a swipe of your finger.

Of course my opinion, take it or leave it lol.

Beautiful work as always, this is going to be a show stopper and is beyond atypical which makes it is even better to me!

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
My only recommendation on the Olds build - if you're ultimately going to install the Pro Dash, then I'd recommend mounting the 3.5" dash on a windshield cell phone mount. The Pro Dash looks much better than the 3.5" screen in terms of graphics. I've seen a couple of builds with the Holley dashes in them and the touch screen is better out of sight (glovebox) or just unhooked.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the new Pro Dash, that you're waiting on, has 3, 4 or 5 displays that you can arrow through correct? You'll have multiple screens at a swipe of your finger.

Of course my opinion, take it or leave it lol.

Beautiful work as always, this is going to be a show stopper and is beyond atypical which makes it is even better to me!
Thanks for the compliment, and your comments are always welcome. I'm going to put it together at least initially, with both screens. The 6.86" Pro Dash will be flush mounted in place of the original gauge cluster, and 3.5" screen will be flush mounted between the A/C vents. If it's too much, or not necessary having both, I will move the 3.5" to the glove box, so I can view it when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor