BUILD THREAD Project long time coming

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
They are on the side on gen 4 motors. I'm not going to run them. People seem to not use them and have no issues.... my 6.0L is an in-between year. Has the old style valley sensors, 24x reluctor, but the gen 4 rods and pistons so it can handle a bunch of boost.

Reactions: 3 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I guess what I meant is when most people run the smooth valley cover they eliminate the knock sensor due to being carbed. Are the sensors on side of block on gen4??
I believe they are on sides of gen 4
You can put them either place. They sell kits to move them with harness extensions

Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Finally decided the engine isn't going to assemble itself. Done with hunting for a little bit, decided today would be a good, relaxing shop day. Got the engine on a stand, and finished removing parts off it. Namely the original oil pan. Got all the gasket surfaces cleaned up and started installing the camshaft chain damper. Realized the chain is worn. I've gone back and forth over whether to run it as is, like the sloppy mechanics do, or replace it. I just can't bring myself to run it as is so new timing set is on order and will be here this week. I do recommend the damper though.

20201129_140113.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Dude, that’s not a lot of wear. It will truly be fine. When they’re stretched it’s waaaaay sloppier than that.

But I know the feeling -‘ should I send it or replace it? ‘ Ugggh, really comes down to the love for the motor. If it breaks, bends 4+ valves and makes 2-3 pistons turn to dust, then are you going to be bummed, pissed or screaming (or any combination there of)? If yes, then change it. If no, then

032575D2-1E7E-49C6-B1DA-84101AC65903.png

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I know I know... I was just going to put a chain on it but it was actually cheaper to get a timing set than it was just a chain... oh well. Progress is being made should have a lot done by the end of next weekend. Fingers crossed

Reactions: 5 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Dude, that’s not a lot of wear. It will truly be fine. When they’re stretched it’s waaaaay sloppier than that.

But I know the feeling -‘ should I send it or replace it? ‘ Ugggh, really comes down to the love for the motor. If it breaks, bends 4+ valves and makes 2-3 pistons turn to dust, then are you going to be bummed, pissed or screaming (or any combination there of)? If yes, then change it. If no, then

View attachment 163091
BTW, I dont have ANY tension on the screwdriver, was just using it so my finger wasn't in the way in the pic

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
The timing chain set came in today. Had puppy training classes tonight so as soon as we got home I slapped the new set on. Good thing I didn't eat dinner because I'm full of crow right now. Exactly the same amount of slack as there was with the original chain just like 64nailhead said.... Oh well, peace of mind I guess right?

20201201_193703.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The timing chain set came in today. Had puppy training classes tonight so as soon as we got home I slapped the new set on. Good thing I didn't eat dinner because I'm full of crow right now. Exactly the same amount of slack as there was with the original chain just like 64nailhead said.... Oh well, peace of mind I guess right?

View attachment 163306
One less thing to break. 👍

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor