Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
So I'm sitting on the couch tonight, mindlessly scrolling thru the internet. Decided to try to figure out what I needed to save up for next. Then the realization hit me that I already have a lot of parts and haven't even finished putting them to use yet. Got off my a$$ and out in the garage for an hour and a half. Second cylinder head now has the valves lapped and new valve springs installed. Just need to clean it up and remove the broken exhaust studs. Another item checked off the list and one step closer to doing the swap.

20200817_200720.jpg

My home made valve spring tool. Hey it works & the price was right 🤣
20200817_200929.jpg
20200817_202722.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Heads cleaned up, broken exhaust manifold studs removed, and a couple of parts came in. I really need to start reassembling this, but I have several projects fighting for my time before winter hits around the house too. We shall see what happens.

20200827_191208.jpg

New timing cover gasket set and I also got an adapter kit from Melling to use the LS2 style timing chain guide which is supposed to minimize timing chain slap.
20200827_190952.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Heads cleaned up, broken exhaust manifold studs removed, and a couple of parts came in. I really need to start reassembling this, but I have several projects fighting for my time before winter hits around the house too. We shall see what happens.

View attachment 155555

New timing cover gasket set and I also got an adapter kit from Melling to use the LS2 style timing chain guide which is supposed to minimize timing chain slap.
View attachment 155556
I used the trick flow adapter on my 5.3 that has the chain dampened. Not sure how much it helps as I've not really had it up above 4k, but it's peace of mind knowing it's hiding there.

Reactions: 3 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I used the trick flow adapter on my 5.3 that has the chain dampened. Not sure how much it helps as I've not really had it up above 4k, but it's peace of mind knowing it's hiding there.
That is one thing I didn't do but wish I did

Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
They are the same thing, same style, different brand is all... thought it seemed like good insurance. Figured if the factory did it, must be worth something...

• Agree

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
You'll likely be fine. There are millions of LS engines roaming around without them. I think the main concern is during high rpms and suddenly lifting off the throttle.
I'm sure. I did install a new chain so there is no slop. The original timing chain had the slightest amount at 80k miles and the engine was fine when the truck was rolled

Reactions: 2 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I'd be more worried about how long it ran while upside down. Hopefully, you went through it.
Magged the block. Bored decked etc. Used stock crank after polishing and forged pistons and rods. All new bearings. I'm good

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor