BUILD THREAD Project long time coming

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Well I'll work on that. Also tried something else. I bought my kit thru Lance Draeger. Just chatted with him quick. He's going to make a tune that gets me in the ballpark for free. Guess I'll try to take care of some other things and wait for the file.

Reactions: 2 users

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
Really enjoyed following this build so far. Saw a few pages back you were having issues getting a good clutch pedal? Just helped a friend of my install a 496 with a magnum 6 speed in his 76 Laguna. We bled what seemed to be several bottles of brake fluid through it with no success. Finally we pulled out the Mity Vac and stuck a cone shaped fitting on the end of the hose and put in the master reservoir orifice. Started sucking fluid up and then finally got a bunch of bubbles to come through. Tested is again and got full pedal. Keep the posts coming.

Reactions: 4 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Really enjoyed following this build so far. Saw a few pages back you were having issues getting a good clutch pedal? Just helped a friend of my install a 496 with a magnum 6 speed in his 76 Laguna. We bled what seemed to be several bottles of brake fluid through it with no success. Finally we pulled out the Mity Vac and stuck a cone shaped fitting on the end of the hose and put in the master reservoir orifice. Started sucking fluid up and then finally got a bunch of bubbles to come through. Tested is again and got full pedal. Keep the posts coming.
Thank you. Yes I still need to bleed the clutch. Kind of been putting it off because I know it's going to be a PITA. I even installed a "speed bleeder" which is really just a 36" braided brake hose to get the bleeder screw at the highest point. Thought that would make it simple. Definitely makes it easier but obviously I still have air trapped. :/ I do have a mitzvah, might have to try that.

Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Spent an hour and a half tonight bleeding the clutch. Made zero progress. Frustrated to say the least. Every time I started to get a little pedal, it went away and I ended up with nothing. Tried vacuum bleeding, pump, open bleeder, close, release pedal. Also tried open bleeder, push pedal, close bleeder, release pedal. Even tried using vacuum thru the hose in the resvoir that Perfection on YouTube recommended. Actually fot a bunch of air out and had a little pedal. Bled it normally and ended up with nothing, even worse than I started with.

Frustrated Head GIF

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
With my brother's car, we don't have a speed bleeder. I crack the bleeder open, have him push in the pedal and hold. I then close the bleeder and tell him to let the pedal up. Rinse and repeat. When we're getting enough pedal to release the clutch disc, I have him pump the pedal a few times and hold the pedal down, while I open the bleeder. He usually has to lift the pedal manually when we do this. Every few times we open the bleeder, I get my fat a$$ out from under the car to check/top up the fluid level as we are using a reservoir from a 4th gen F-body and it's pretty small.

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
With my brother's car, we don't have a speed bleeder. I crack the bleeder open, have him push in the pedal and hold. I then close the bleeder and tell him to let the pedal up. Rinse and repeat. When we're getting enough pedal to release the clutch disc, I have him pump the pedal a few times and hold the pedal down, while I open the bleeder. He usually has to lift the pedal manually when we do this. Every few times we open the bleeder, I get my fat a$$ out from under the car to check/top up the fluid level as we are using a reservoir from a 4th gen F-body and it's pretty small.
Well technically I don't have a speed bleeder. All I have is a 36" long braided hose with the bleeder screw on the end of it. It gets the bleeder at the highest point. Thought it would make it a breeze but I was wrong.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Well technically I don't have a speed bleeder. All I have is a 36" long braided hose with the bleeder screw on the end of it. It gets the bleeder at the highest point. Thought it would make it a breeze but I was wrong.
I wish I had been smart enough to put one on my brother's car 9 years ago. I didn't know about them. Consequently, when we flush the clutch master/slave every few years, I take a brake fluid shower. I think you need a helper in the car so you can do it old school.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Spent an hour and a half tonight bleeding the clutch. Made zero progress. Frustrated to say the least. Every time I started to get a little pedal, it went away and I ended up with nothing. Tried vacuum bleeding, pump, open bleeder, close, release pedal. Also tried open bleeder, push pedal, close bleeder, release pedal. Even tried using vacuum thru the hose in the resvoir that Perfection on YouTube recommended. Actually fot a bunch of air out and had a little pedal. Bled it normally and ended up with nothing, even worse than I started with.

Frustrated Head GIF
I hear/read about the hassles when the home garage guys are bleeding the hydraulic set-ups & always wonder if there is some industry secret or something @ dealerships/specialty shops??

Sucks that you're experiencing the elevated level of frustration.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I hear/read about the hassles when the home garage guys are bleeding the hydraulic set-ups & always wonder if there is some industry secret or something @ dealerships/specialty shops??

Sucks that you're experiencing the elevated level of frustration.
Stock 4th gen F-body master/slaves come new as a unit, already bled.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor