BUILD THREAD Project long time coming

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I know right... 2 quarts of brake fluid later and still not much better. Not good enough to drive. W.T.F.
Man, that sucks. We didn't have anywhere near that trouble.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Forward progress! I've been talking with Bernie and he had me take several measurements. I wasn't getting enough pushrod travel to disengage the clutch. He sent me a template to drill and tap a new hole in the clutch pedal. Just did that. I bled the system one more time. Got a big bubble out of it. Now that there is more fluid movement I could get that last bubble out. Started the car and I can shift it while running, but have to force the shifter into each gear. Clutch is barely dragging. I already know what the issue is. When he sent me the template and I printed it, it was supposed to come out at 100% life size. It didn't. The holes didn't line up. So basically the new hole is in the right direction, but just barely short of where it needs to be to give enough throw to fully disengage the clutch.
Hey, at least I have it figured out now!

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Forward progress! I've been talking with Bernie and he had me take several measurements. I wasn't getting enough pushrod travel to disengage the clutch. He sent me a template to drill and tap a new hole in the clutch pedal. Just did that. I bled the system one more time. Got a big bubble out of it. Now that there is more fluid movement I could get that last bubble out. Started the car and I can shift it while running, but have to force the shifter into each gear. Clutch is barely dragging. I already know what the issue is. When he sent me the template and I printed it, it was supposed to come out at 100% life size. It didn't. The holes didn't line up. So basically the new hole is in the right direction, but just barely short of where it needs to be to give enough throw to fully disengage the clutch.
Hey, at least I have it figured out now!
If you need to print it again, look for a setting for "actual size" or scaling 100%

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Well, finally had some time to work on the car again. Pulled the pedal, filled the hole, redrilled a new one, tapped it, installed, and TEST DROVE the car!!!!!!!!

It works! I'm not completely happy with it. The clutch starts to engage right off the floor so it makes it a little tricky to drive, but no grinding and a nice firm pedal. I need even more throw though. Ideally I'd like to move the hole down the pedal, but that will cause the clutch master pushrod to be a funky angle and I know that will wear the master out prematurely. Clutch pedal is already 1.5" above the brake pedal. Talking with Bernie and hoping he can do something.

That being said, I'll take it as a win. Test drive was a little exciting as I forgot I replaced my brake master cylinder during this whole process and haven't bled the brakes yet 🤣.
I have some loose ends to tie up, secure some wiring for the O2 sensor, change the oil, drain the water out of the cooling system and put antifreeze in, install the hood. Etc but I should be able to take it to the Syracuse Nationals. Yay!

20210705_092152.jpg
20210705_092157.jpg
20210705_093523.jpg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 10 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Wow, great Shawn. We’ll be at the Nats as well and weather permitting Cicero this next Saturday.

You can cheat the pedal problem with a welder and a piece 5/16 or 3/8 steel. How is the feel from the clutch? Meaning does it push comfortably, too soft, or too stiff?

EDIT - just noticed another reason my wife looks at me funny when I talk to someone about car things - too soft or too stiff is not a typical conversation she hears me discuss with others lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I'd love to meet up with you 64nailhead ! The pedal feels great, like a bone stock car. Just need a tick more throw still.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Ok. So a few issues to take care of like the BRAKES. 😆
But no information on how the new engine felt?!?! Jeesh

• Agree
  • Haha

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I literally drove it a mile total, down the road 1/2 mile, turned around and back. Took it east most of the way. Shifted thru all of the gears, sixth is awesome for mpg. Got on it kind of hard from a stop sign, chirped them going into third 😁 Really need some more seat time, finish tuning it and tidy up the loose ends then I can start driving the wheels off of it!.

Speaking of which. Stumbled across a pair of the same exact tires I have on FB marketplace for $80. Had to grab them so I have an extra pair for the rear 🤣

20210705_172744.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor