BUILD THREAD Project long time coming

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Worked on it tonight. My wife helped bleed the brakes. Still have a little air but I'll get a friend to help me. Zip tied the O2 sensor wiring out of the way, tightened a loose motor mount bolt I had forgot about, changed the transmission fluid. Hooked up the tachometer, connected the reverse light switch wiring, rinsed it off quick and went for a quick drive down to the gas station. Topped it off with non-ethanol and then let her eat.
Damn! 2nd gear always lights the tires up. Chirps into third, pulls to about 6500 rpm. Next thing I know, I'm turning 4k rpm in fifth gear. Now mind you, the speedo isn't working, but doing the math, that means I was hauling a$$. Uh oh. That's not a smart idea on public roads. I was not expecting it to be as smooth as it is. Still need to mount the ecm, fix the floor, mount the console, change the water out for coolant, and change the oil and filter. Oh and get it inspected. LOL

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Took the wife for a ride and had her on camera duty

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Took the wife for a ride and had her on camera duty

Ok, you win :):)
My wife won’t go near the passenger seat.

Looks the clutch is working enough. Now leave your left foot on the floor and ROW them at 6500.

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
And definitely looking forward to seeing you at the Syracuse Nats.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Still had water in the cooling system. It was reddish/orange from the rust since the short block had been sitting for quite some time. So I drained it, refilled, flushed, refilled, and repeated several times until it was clear. Then finally drained and refilled with fresh 50/50 antifreeze.
I ordered a different throttle body in the hopes of getting rid of the whistle permanently, and a few other side benefits like the direction the connectors for the TPS and IAC were positioned. It was the FITECH brand which actually has very good reviews. So I unbolt the "old" one, and for whatever reason one of the bolts galls in the aluminum intake adapter and pulled a couple of threads out with it. Fix those, find another bolt after chasing them only screwed it up more. Get the new one on, run the tps autoset, and go to put the intake tube back on and realize the new t-body has a smaller OD so my intake boot is super loose. I'm not redoing that so I switch back. One step forward, one step back. During this whole process, everything that could go wrong, did. Toolbox even decided to lock itself. Which mind you, I never got keys for it, and I've owned it for 20 years now and never had that happen. So suffice it to say, I wasn't having a very good day. Called it a day once it was back together. Afterwards I took it for a quick drive and took out my frustrations on the tires 😅

Today I decided to update the firmware in the handheld and ecu. Finally got that done, and figured out how to download and install a new tune. Scaled a few sensors that were reading off, MAT and fuel pressure. Not sure how much better it is, can't drive it, it's raining here now. I just used one of the Sloppy tune files for a 6.0L with the SS2 and long tubes. Should be closer at least. That alone helped the IAC noise. Doesn't last anywhere near as long now.
I'm feeling a little more comfortable navigating around the software for it on the laptop. Still have A LOT to learn though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
When you say doesn't last as long... do you mean after warmed up or at lower rpm ???
And congrats 👏

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
When you say doesn't last as long... do you mean after warmed up or at lower rpm ???
And congrats 👏
The noise doesn't last as long during warm up. Was 25 seconds really loud, with the base tune. Now with the Sloppy tune it's probably only 5 seconds realy loud, and maybe 10 where you can barely hear it.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The noise doesn't last as long during warm up. Was 25 seconds really loud, with the base tune. Now with the Sloppy tune it's probably only 5 seconds realy loud, and maybe 10 where you can barely hear it.
I started up my son's motor yesterday with the intake piping removed. Almost couldn't hear the 4' exhaust pipe over the whistling from the 4" TB. Fortunately it has a big muffler installed on the intake most all of the time ;)

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor