BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oh, and for those who might’ve missed it/haven’t seen it in the “What did you buy for your G body today “ thread, I also finally scored a set of mint center caps for my N78 aluminum 442 rallye wheels after nearly two years of wrangling to get them.

0613E82A-86B3-40FC-AAA8-69408721041E.jpeg

74C84C75-397A-4B93-A4CA-1C209A9DA931.jpeg

This was a particularly good score as they’re extremely hard to find in ANY condition, never mind as nice as these are.
Very happy.

• Winner
Reactions: 14 users

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Nice center caps, they look like really good for their years! The door handle looks great as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Those are definitely some rare rims; it really adds to the "coal" factor. :p

Those would be super cool in a larger diameter. I just can't bring myself to run little wheels anymore. :confused:

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have the same lighted vanity visor in my 88 Brougham, it is nice. The final door handles look great. Hopefully your old Astro roof seal is still pretty decent, last thing you want is leaks. I still can't believe the crumby job GM did on that roof from the factory.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Those are definitely some rare rims; it really adds to the "coal" factor. :p

Those would be super cool in a larger diameter. I just can't bring myself to run little wheels anymore. :confused:
I can sort of see why the late 70's version was 14". My 87-88 nice factory aluminium rims in 14" is just plain stupid, 14" tires were disappearing at that point even.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I've beat the bushes for a new GM part #20062590 top seal and still can't find one. Even called "my guy" and he can't find one either.

There used to be one on fleabay a while back for like 4 months straight and I think they were asking around 100 bucks for it IIRC. I never needed one so I never even considered it.
Unfortunately only the aftermarket versions come up with that number. Whatever the Chinese have done with rubber is not good. Either too hard or rots out in a short time.

• Agree

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Nice center caps, they look like really good for their years! The door handle looks great as well.

Thanks Mike. I’m very happy to have acquired these center caps. As mentioned, they’re very difficult to come by these days especially in as nice a condition as these.

Thanks for the compliment on the door handles as well. I’m much happier with this version.

Agreed, they’d be so much better in a larger diameter. But these are what Olds put on the 442’s of this era back in the day, and to stay true to that and the Old School theme of the car, that’s what I’m stuck with.

I always have the 18x8’s and 18x10’s on The Juggernaut if I want my modern performance wheels and tires tho. Fun fact about these N78 wheels, at 14” diameter the wheels are the same size as just the front cross drilled and slotted Wilwood front brakes on The ‘Naut, never mind the wheels on it.
😈
Amazing how times have changed.

Hopefully your old Astro roof seal is still pretty decent, last thing you want is leaks.

Actually, surprisingly enough, the old original AstroRoof seal isn’t in terrible shape. It’s old, soft and a little flat, but that’s actually just what I need for the roof to seal now. It’s got 2 spots where it’s looks like there might’ve been some abrasion on it, but nothing to compromise it’s integrity. I think with a little cleaning and rubber conditioning, it should still work just fine.

As for the abraded spots, I might experiment to see if I can seal them up with some weatherstrip adhesive or contact cement or something. If any of you guys know of a product that would repair this type of damage, let me know please.

6BDFC989-2F1C-490B-BB79-47F375BBD8FE.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Something like Permatex Poly Urethane might work.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The dome and map light combo I installed in the car has a non functioning passenger side map light issue that I can’t seem to figure out.

So instead of pissing around with it, I used my day off today to scrounge the JY’s for some replacement options:

C9303AD1-FA77-404F-9287-124B78A9B8A5.jpeg

Hopefully one of these suckers will work.
Happy birthday to me!

Reactions: 7 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor