BUILD THREAD Project Over The Top - Malibu T-Top Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Than

Thanks man! I’m trying to make it look factory with mostly factory parts, but obviously not actually be anything that ever came out of a GM plant.
You're succeeding.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
yeah that's awesome. always liked seeing the 68-72 novas & 73-74 novas mixed and matched, i'm waiting to see a 55 chev nose on a 57' lol
I love mutt cars. Stock restorations and factory original are cool, but I found with my 96 Impala SS that I personally don’t enjoy owning that kind of vehicle. I’m a tinkerer.

It doesn’t matter the kind or style of vehicle - it’s fun looking at a well thought out, well executed build and learning what was done and how. It’s the essence of hot rodding.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 11 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
You're succeeding.
1670373557684.gif

Reactions: 3 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I mounted and plumbed up the hx system, as well as fit and mounted the header panel and front bumper. No pics because it doesn’t look much any different. After Christmas I’ll be onto wiring. I may pick the car up off the ground and bleed out the brakes first….. we’ll see.

FedEx dropped off a package today too. I was told up to 40 weeks when I ordered, but they arrived in less than 8. Some time this winter, I’ll become an upholsterer:)
E3BD6460-6EFF-4981-92D8-A2138339C6C6.jpeg

Reactions: 14 users

RAGINGMALIBU

RAGINGMALIBU
Jun 4, 2014
TEXAS
Need a little help with this one guys. Where does this connector go to? It’s on the power window harness, drivers side, and has continuity with the spade that goes into the fuse box/bulkhead so it’s hot when the ignition is on. All of the switches and motors are accounted for so I’m stumped……
View attachment 183506
I just finished reading your entire build thread. To say it's impressive would be an understatement. I'm curious though unless I misread this post, why would you NOT buy a new car wiring harness after spending what you've spent so far on the rest of it? Either way, you're doing 90% of what I'm planning for my '80! Great work bud!

Reactions: 1 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
wow incredible. when i 1st looked at your pi in my post i accepted it as a BU but later thought i never seen t top 1 and dug around cuz i didn't recognize the nose as a BU either then couldn't find a 2 dr after 82. now knowing its a 79 makes sense, nice choice in parts the quad lights look much better can't wait to see it done.
Thanks man! I’m trying to make it look factory with mostly factory parts, but obviously not actually be anything that ever came out of a GM plant.
I've always had the "make it look as if factory did it using good stuff" approach as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I just finished reading your entire build thread. To say it's impressive would be an understatement. I'm curious though unless I misread this post, why would you NOT buy a new car wiring harness after spending what you've spent so far on the rest of it? Either way, you're doing 90% of what I'm planning for my '80! Great work bud!
Many thanks for the compliments!!

Good question on the harness. I looked into aftermarket harnesses at the start of the build. I recall there being many options, but not as good of a selection that there is today. Aftermarket harnesses catered more to the street rod crowd, and either I was going to have to customize the “engine” side with a factory harness or the “creature comforts” side with the aftermarket. The other problem was scope creep. The original motor plan didn’t include a supercharger and all of the fuel supply and hx requirements I now have. It’s a bad habit I have when a project takes too long to complete:)

Reactions: 4 users

RAGINGMALIBU

RAGINGMALIBU
Jun 4, 2014
TEXAS
I totally understand this for sure. I plan on a custom trunk mount equal length from KwikWire. This allows me to place the circuits where I want them and place the block that suits me. I hate laying on the floorboard to check fuses!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor