Greensboro, NC
looks great! makes me want to find one!

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Last of the 8.8 batch just left.

Pops has his eye on another '36 pickup in Iowa. Has a local guy scheduled to go look at it before he makes a deal.

Placed an order for El Camino parts that showed up yesterday. Trying to stack some cash for the machine shop.

I pulled out the LT1 I've had under the stairs for at least 10 years and did a leakdown test on it. Pretty disappointing results. It really should be honed, resealed and have the heads done before it gets run in anything. At this point I'm thinking I might just do the harness to make it stand-alone and loosely reassemble it. I'll probably post it on CL then take it to the swap meet if it doesn't sell. I like LT1s but just don't see myself having a use for it in the foreseeable future.

Kind of on the fence about selling the Shot Rod Sedan project. On one hand I really want to build it but won't get to it for a few years due to the pending move and house/shop building. On the other hand, it sure would be easy to convert it to cash and not drag it 450 miles just to store it some more.
Input? Suggestions?

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
would've liked to see the shot rod completed, looked like a cool concept, but it would make the move easier and free up time/cash for the reaper project... I would put thought into attachment/sentimental value of it before putting a for sale tag on it though... eg: my cutlass and grand prix are in much better shape and require tons less work than my regal, but would get rid of them long before the regal... the regal represents kind of a dawning of a new start from a string of bad life decisions and financial auto projects that were doomed from the start, and also holds the record for the vehicle that has survived my ownership the longest. hope this helps the thought process.

Darin

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
The sedan would be a real cool build. I've been wanting to build something with a mk8 4 valve 4.6 and a 30's sedan but never thought about putting them together.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Thanks for the input, guys.

There's no real sentimental attachment here. Technically, it's just a bunch of spare parts. The body was on a frame I bought specifically for the Reaper project. The frame under it now is another one I bought for my pickup but had some damage to it in a couple areas (have since been remedied). The engine/transmission were from a Mark VIII that I had bought at auction and hoped to flip but ended up wrecking it before it sold. The rearend, driveshaft and springs are from my pickup. The frontend is just spare parts I had kicking around. There is a full dual exhaust system that came from my pickup and fits the frame perfectly. Seats and steering column from a free Cavalier I parted out. All the latches and regulators are in it but every part of the body needs work. I've got lights and a new universal wiring harness as well. The plan was to fabricate a skeletal grill that somewhat resembled an early Lincoln Zephyr and I was considering relocating the radiator to the back so I could really show off the engine. Since the top originally had a canvas insert, I was planning to adapt a sliding ragtop originally for a VW bus. I have paperwork to get a title too but haven't done it yet. Really, I have most of the parts to build the car I picture in my head.
As a side note; the slantback sedan, as opposed to the humpback trunk style, is quite a bit less common and a bit less visually awkward in my opinion. I've been told most were originally either police cars or taxis. Not sure if that's true or not.

I still can't decide. I really want to finish it but I know that it'll be a few years before I get to it.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Another biker build-off Sunday...
We welded in the new rear structure which consisted of parts of the old hoops' radiuses (radii?) and some DOM. Essentially what we did is raise the seating position about 4" as well as level out the tank. Marc is 6'5" and this makes a relatively medium-small bike much more comfortable for him. It also gives it a completely unique look. The ebay seat isn't really mounted yet but we have most of the bracketry cut and ready to weld in.

Just for contrast, here's a pic of what his bike would have originally looked like.

What we tried to do was take all the contradicting angles and eliminate what we could. The focus started with the stiffening ribs in the side of the engine case. The tank and seat was leveled to that. These are really awkwardly designed from the start.
After the seat is mounted we'll probably move on to building a battery mount and start in on the wiring.

Again, I did nothing to mine. Just sorted and boxed up some parts.

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Kind of on the fence about selling the Shot Rod Sedan project. On one hand I really want to build it but won't get to it for a few years due to the pending move and house/shop building. On the other hand, it sure would be easy to convert it to cash and not drag it 450 miles just to store it some more.
Input? Suggestions?
[/QUOTE]

in truth moving the compound to it's new home , would 1 more project really make a different ? yes you have to push it ...etc.
what it worth to sell right now ? $ 1,000 ? more ? less ?
In 3 years time when you want to replace it , what will it cost you ?

with your talent this will be a great ride.

my vote is to move it , storage it till you have the time.

Dave

Last edited:
  • Agree

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Dave, I'm inclined to agree with you about moving/storing it -- at this point at least. The main complication will be that I'll likely be shopless for a couple years. We're planning to sell here, then move and build. Depending on how ridiculous we get with the house and our new job situations, the shop will likely come a year or two after the house. I could probably stash it here locally with my brother for a year or two or possibly drag it over there and store it in my dad's shop but he doesn't really have the room to spare.
I think it would be a fun project and since I have almost all the components, it really wouldn't be super expensive to finish. But like I said earlier, it's mostly just spare parts and it wasn't really one of those dream cars that I always wanted or anything. Truth is I get distracted pretty easily and there are a few other bucket list builds I want to tackle. I think I'll find a way to fit this one in the mix though.
Thanks for the kind words and the input.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Decided to keep the sedan for now.

Replaced the water pump in my brother's '36. Went with a Corvette unit due to it's cleaner heater outlet pipes.

I'm in swap meet prep mode right now. Going through the shop and liquidating everything that has no specific purpose. Tore down the LT1, cleaned, painted and reassembled. Still need to come up with an oil filter adapter and do the harness.

Then pulled the 400 out of the El Camino and did the same. Tore it down, cleaned it up, replaced the rear main seal and rear cam plug that was seeping, repainted, replaced the cracked oil pan.

Bearings look great! Engine has about 5000 miles since it was built back in '09.

Still need to clean the intake manifold before I finish putting it together.

Also acquired this little generator. It was a runner when it was last used but now has no spark. Probably not a tough fix when I get around to it. Might be handy for camping and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor