purchasing a new 700r4

Status
Not open for further replies.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
81 malibu wagon sbc 350, 2004r trans currently has 4.10 rear. swapping out to a 8.5 with 3.73. Eventually the car may end up with a bbc under the hood and a 200 may be ok but wont be ideal behind that. What i am trying to figure out is i asked what i felt was a very specific question and it is now turning into why i am not going with a trans that i did not ask for. yes i could biuld an awesome 2004r and no it will not be in the same price range as a 700r4. alot of people love the 200's , alot of people dont. i have had cars with a 200 and a 700. i could go the new school route and biuld a 4l80 or 4l60 but that will be even more money to biuld plus i will need a controller now to get that up and working. i wonder why more people dont run the 2004r though since it seems to be the most awesome trans. maybe gm messed up when they stopped making them.

so to get back on topic it seems noone has a good recommendation from any of the online biulders for 700r4.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i think you get a lot of 200r4 push on here because it's an easy(er) swap for these cars,they were available in them originally etc etc.i got my 200 from extreme automatics and they also sell the 700.Lonnie has a good reputation in this hobby.check 'em out see if their 700 is something you're interested in.

Reactions: 1 users

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
x2 on Phoenix Transmission in Weatherford TX. They built the 4l60e in a 02 C/E T/A I used to have. The factory trans puked its guts @ 36,500k easy miles.... The rebuilt Phoenix version survived another 100k w/o any issues. I did comparison shopping for pricing (dealership; local builder down my street; & Phoenix Trans). Dealership quoted $3200 (stock replacement) + converter if it needed one :oops:. Local shop quoted $2800-3200 for rebuild (depending on what failed) + converter. Phoenix quoted $2400 minimum average to $2800 depending on internal damage. The price included a Vette servo upgrade, shift kit, & my choice for converter stall. I figured, @ $2800 tops, that was better vs. just a stock rebuild/replacement.

My bill was $2480. I had a wrecker bring it to them on a Monday afternoon. They started on Tuesday. I picked it up on Wed @ lunch. The better servo, shift kit, & higher stall made huge impact in the driving experience! Their shop was spotless/well organized. If/when I find a used/core 4l80e, I will be bringing it to them for the rebuild.

mine is powder coated too - show quality, was yours?

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
yep,both times..oh wait phoenix never mind my bad.. :p
0922181241.jpg

• Haha

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The 83-87 Turbo Buicks came with the 2004r. You would see guys swapping 700r4 in if it was truly better. Many of them including my self have put well over 500 to the tires through a 2004r. The gear spread is much better with the 2004r. Plus it will shift into 4th gear at wide open throttle like any other gear.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
81 malibu wagon sbc 350, 2004r trans currently has 4.10 rear. swapping out to a 8.5 with 3.73. Eventually the car may end up with a bbc under the hood and a 200 may be ok but wont be ideal behind that. What i am trying to figure out is i asked what i felt was a very specific question and it is now turning into why i am not going with a trans that i did not ask for. yes i could biuld an awesome 2004r and no it will not be in the same price range as a 700r4. alot of people love the 200's , alot of people dont. i have had cars with a 200 and a 700. i could go the new school route and biuld a 4l80 or 4l60 but that will be even more money to biuld plus i will need a controller now to get that up and working. i wonder why more people dont run the 2004r though since it seems to be the most awesome trans. maybe gm messed up when they stopped making them.

so to get back on topic it seems noone has a good recommendation from any of the online biulders for 700r4.
I don't care which one you use. Your statement just didn't make sense mechanically. Now it does.... Its strictly a personal decision.
There were 2 different recommendations for Phoenix Trans.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor