Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
We all start somewhere.
True, true, and this is the best place to start. Everyone here wants to help. As for the chip, the OBD-1 computer is generic, used in similar cars. But the chip is specific to your car. Engine, trans, AC, everything about your particular car is on it. Don't toss it, the chip and the computer are known to go bad. My Mom's '89 Olds ran through about four of them. Usually the AC quit. Eventually we started grabbing junkyard ECMs and swapping her chip in.

Tim Fortier

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2016
D-F, Maine
True, true, and this is the best place to start. Everyone here wants to help. As for the chip, the OBD-1 computer is generic, used in similar cars. But the chip is specific to your car. Engine, trans, AC, everything about your particular car is on it. Don't toss it, the chip and the computer are known to go bad. My Mom's '89 Olds ran through about four of them. Usually the AC quit. Eventually we started grabbing junkyard ECMs and swapping her chip in

This could make some sense. Back in 03 my dad took the chip out, he said it made the car feel like it couldn't sit still. But there is a trick to get the AC to work he said I had do something in the glovebox?? Should I pop this one in and see whats it does?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Also if it's allowable in your area ditch the EGR, or make sure everything is working properly. You'd have to get an intake with EGR provisions if you keep it. Something akin to this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-3711/overview/make/oldsmobile This'd look beautiful on a GM blue engine or Olds Rocket 350 Gold. I know it's not a factory color for that year, but they look cool gold man.

ditching the egr means your are raising the combustion temperature which means you have to back off the timing.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Sure, try it out. Just be careful and be SUPER CLEAN! Even the oil from your fingers will contaminate the contacts. Also ground yourself to the car. Ever see a mechanic with a little chain around his wrist hooked to an alligator clip clipped to the car? He was defeating electrostatic discharge. The static electricity from your body can ruin sensitive electronics like an ECM or a chip..

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Tim Fortier

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2016
D-F, Maine
Yeah its a grounding clip. I have them at work. Should be good. I will pop that in tomorrow. I will post after I have done it. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor