quadrapuke question

Status
Not open for further replies.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
Im a senior in high school. Our BOCES class has a 86 cutlass supreme with the 305 and a rochester carb. My best friend and i were put on the project to get it running right since we are the only ones with any idea how a carb works (scary right? 26 auto tech kids and 2 know how to diagnose a carb?) Anyway. When the car starts, it either revs way up. Or you have to jam the choke blades close to get it to somewhat idle which results in flooding it. Any ideas on what is going on? Nothing is blocking the throttle blades from closing. So that isnt it.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Re: Quadrajet question

Search on YouTube "how to tune a quadrajet carb". That's how I did the one on my MCSS by myself, and it ran way better afterwards. Quadrajet are great carve when functioning properly.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
FORGOT TO ADD! This is 86. Gm's first try at fuel injection. Carb has electrical plugs In it. And yes, they are plugged in..

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
79cutlasssalon442 said:
FORGOT TO ADD! This is 86. Gm's first try at fuel injection. Carb has electrical plugs In it. And yes, they are plugged in..

it's not 'Gm's first try at fuel injection' It's just a CCC carb which was part of the whole CCC system which came out in late 80. It was standard in all non Canadian cars from 81 on.

Your problem seems like the choke.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
If the throttle moves freely ( disconnect the gas pedal but leave the throttle return strings intact springs intact ) then odds are the fast idle cam is hanging up or just set too high.

when the car is cold the choke spring closes the choke and pulls up the fast idle cam on the PS of the carb. At the base of the fast idle cam there is a screw which can be adjusted for idle speed ( this is typically set at 1200-1500 rpm dep on climate ).
As the coil spring heats up ( you'll see the choke opening up top ) the coil puts tension down on the fast idle cam. Once the choke coil is fully open the next time you move the throttle the fast idle cam should drop down. These get gummed up over time and tend to stick or hang up.

Break out the carb cleaner and check for vacuum leaks, broken hoses ect...

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
tc1959 said:
pontiacgp said:
guess the rest of the guys can help now since it's not a carb.. :mrgreen:

You can't argue with an expert diagnosis..... :lol:
Never said it wasnt a carburetor so i'm not quite sure why you're deciding to be a prick. But, yesterday i didnt get to the shop my friend did all the work and the idiot put the throttle cable bracket under the carb. I straightened it all out and now it runs fine. Just smokes, a lot. I'll never let him live this one down..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
79cutlasssalon442 said:
tc1959 said:
pontiacgp said:
guess the rest of the guys can help now since it's not a carb.. :mrgreen:

You can't argue with an expert diagnosis..... :lol:
Never said it wasnt a carburetor so i'm not quite sure why you're deciding to be a prick. But, yesterday i didnt get to the shop my friend did all the work and the idiot put the throttle cable bracket under the carb. I straightened it all out and now it runs fine. Just smokes, a lot. I'll never let him live this one down..

a carburetor is nothing like throttle body injection. A throttle body has no fuel bowl, float, needle valve, venturi, fuel jets, accelerator pump or choke

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor