Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
fight GIF

:popcorn:
Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Correct. Which is a low buck cost intake and carb swap away from disappearing but retaining all the other benefits while increasing hp and torque ratings:banana:
True, what a lot of people seem to do.

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It's a learning curve if you're doing it yourself I found. There isn't a company/software (like HP Tuners or EFI Live) where there is support and a big community to help. I've been out of that tuning for a while I'm sure there are guys out there that will do programming still for you. Also you need to invest in programmable chips and burners, out of date software as well. Aftermarket EFI/DFI/LS electronics definitely easier route to go. IMO

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Here, let me hold your hand on working with your antiquated SBC EFI tech:

Piggyback:

or save yourself the @ss pain:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Of all the EFI OBD1 tuning systems I have seen, this is the best tradeoff between cost effectivity and benefits.

It basically converts an OBD1 ecm to the functionality you get for a OBD2 ecm with HPtuners. I plan on purchasing the system for my Turbo Buick setup this spring.

Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Of all the EFI OBD1 tuning systems I have seen, this is the best tradeoff between cost effectivity and benefits.

It basically converts an OBD1 ecm to the functionality you get for a OBD2 ecm with HPtuners. I plan on purchasing the system for my Turbo Buick setup this spring.

Wish they would make those for CCC systems.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Finding someone who knows/tunes TPI isn’t easy as eloquently suggested above. I found someone in my area(region?) that knew his stuff and was into it enough, or had enough knowledge from when he was, to tune mine. A street tune then dyno tune, was well worth it and wish I did it years earlier. Not night and day but noticeable enough. As stated thirdgen.org is probably the most beneficial forum for TPI info.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I sincerely appreciate all the responses. All good food for thought, but I have 1 last question....
How hard is it to tune these 90's TPI systems? Looking at all the new modern stuff, its all self learning. I wouldn't get the same deal with the older stuff.
Thanks in advance.

Finding someone who knows/tunes TPI isn’t easy as eloquently suggested above. I found someone in my area(region?) that knew his stuff and was into it enough, or had enough knowledge from when he was, to tune mine. A street tune then dyno tune, was well worth it and wish I did it years earlier. Not night and day but noticeable enough. As stated thirdgen.org is probably the most beneficial forum for TPI info.

If you know how to tune a carb and HEI distributor to affect timing control and air fuel ratios, and then understand the effects of your tuning changes, then look in the mirror and you'll see your tuner. On the otherhand, if you can't dial in the timing curve on an HEI, then you need to find someone to tune the TPI.

Other than that, it's easy as pie to tune a TPI with a Holley or Megasquirt - there is no simpler system IMHO.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
If you know how to tune a carb and HEI distributor to affect timing control and air fuel ratios, and then understand the effects of your tuning changes, then look in the mirror and you'll see your tuner. On the otherhand, if you can't dial in the timing curve on an HEI, then you need to find someone to tune the TPI.

Other than that, it's easy as pie to tune a TPI with a Holley or Megasquirt - there is no simpler system IMHO.

I am looking at my wife's Camaro and my Hellcat's piggy bank because the Terminator X is so damn tempting.

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor