Question on Engine Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
heres a list of items you will need. please keep in mind i'm working my way thru this myself for the first time.

1.vortec 5.3
2.intake, throttle body, injectors from a 98 to 2002 F-body (the vortec intake sits to high to close stock regal hood)
3.Computor and engine wiring harnes for 98 to 2002 F-body. I modified a factory harness to make it stand alone.
From everything i have read the computor must match up with the intake/injector set up being used.
4.Modify vortec oil pan ( cut 3" out) or use 98 to 2002 F body oil pan.
5.New fuel tank. i ordered one for a Grand Nationl since they are set up for fuel inejection. Also a GN fuel pump Setup.
6. Trans. im useing a 4l60E.
7. rear end. i swaped the stock rear with a posi rear from a 87 Monte. i also did the rear disc brake conversion at the same time. its cool to go fast but if you cant stop it could make for a pretty bad headache.
8.engine accesory drive (serp belt system. I'm not sure on this part. i have been told i should be able to use the stock system off of the vortec. i already know i will have to change the water pump becouse the f body thottle body hits the vortec water pump.

again i am going thru this for the first time myself so im sure there are some items that i may have missed. I would reccomend the FI over carb. to use the carb set up for the votec will set you back about $800 in itself and to me FI is much more reliable and efficient.

let me know if this helps you out any and if i can help with any other info.

Don't use the F-body pan, use the CTS-V pan for an LS swap. Also F-body manifolds will hit on the driver side so you can modify them or use F-body pacesetter headers, or LS G-body headers. I hear LS6 cam is a good mild cam that's what I'm planning on using.

Conan-64 said:
heres a list of items you will need. please keep in mind i'm working my way thru this myself for the first time.

1.vortec 5.3
2.intake, throttle body, injectors from a 98 to 2002 F-body (the vortec intake sits to high to close stock regal hood)
3.Computor and engine wiring harnes for 98 to 2002 F-body. I modified a factory harness to make it stand alone.
From everything i have read the computor must match up with the intake/injector set up being used.
4.Modify vortec oil pan ( cut 3" out) or use 98 to 2002 F body oil pan.
5.New fuel tank. i ordered one for a Grand Nationl since they are set up for fuel inejection. Also a GN fuel pump Setup.
6. Trans. im useing a 4l60E.
7. rear end. i swaped the stock rear with a posi rear from a 87 Monte. i also did the rear disc brake conversion at the same time. its cool to go fast but if you cant stop it could make for a pretty bad headache.
8.engine accesory drive (serp belt system. I'm not sure on this part. i have been told i should be able to use the stock system off of the vortec. i already know i will have to change the water pump becouse the f body thottle body hits the vortec water pump.

again i am going thru this for the first time myself so im sure there are some items that i may have missed. I would reccomend the FI over carb. to use the carb set up for the votec will set you back about $800 in itself and to me FI is much more reliable and efficient.

let me know if this helps you out any and if i can help with any other info.

thanks man thats sum damn good information

I would agree, go with the fuel injection. The biggest hassle of doing this swap is mounting the engine. Take advantage of today's technology and take advantage of the injection. Myself, I'd stick with a regular engine if I wasn't going to utilize the efi.

A few guys on MalibuRacing.com has done this swap and it would all be the same for your car. Here's a link to the LSx Swap section. http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewf ... c41c266249

Here's one particularly good documentation of the swap. He did a 6.0l/T56 swap but all engine parts and wiring should be the same. http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewt ... 29&t=73834

Damn i was just asking about a swap like this! 😀 Exactly the info needed. Definitely will check this out and post pics :mrgreen:

My LSX swap has currently suffered a minor set back. I have run accross an offer that i could not refuse. 17x8 TT2s wrapped in 225/45s. I would like somthing a little more meaty in the rear but i guess rome was not built in a day and neither is my project. 😀

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 1,418
Conan-64 said:
My LSX swap has currently suffered a minor set back. I have run accross an offer that i could not refuse. 17x8 TT2s wrapped in 225/45s. I would like somthing a little more meaty in the rear but i guess rome was not built in a day and neither is my project. 😀
What the F man?! You promised us hookers on prom night and then showed up with a fat chick.... figureatively speaking.

Seriously though... I think that the engine swap that you are attempting/were attempting should not actually be attempted until you have an exact list (with prices) of all the components you need AND actually have the correct and exact amount of cash for the parts.
I say this as friendly advice from someone who has attempted a few projects that started out sounding feasable, but ended up snowballing financially out of control and usually ended with my E-Bay ad saying "My loss is your gain".
It sounds good... on paper. And I'm sure completed it would be cool as F. But, do your homework.
Money comes and goes as fast as you bought those rims. Which are nice, btw.

Crossbreed. Sorry to dissapoint. BUT i'm back on track!!! as i said earlier. a minor set back. i'm looking to start my swap hopfully this comming weekend. my biggest challenge (like many of us) is time. if any one has any questions on pricing i would be happy to fill you in on what i paid for any specific items but i have come to find out prices for this kind of stuff is all over the place. 1 guy wil pay 500 for an engine and 300 for a trans and another person will find deals for the exact opposite.

when i start the swap i will try to get as many pics as possible. if any one is looking for anything in particular please let me know and i'll see if i can get a pic for it or at least some type of answer.

😀 the project is back on track. i don't want to bore any one with to many details on the stock engine removal. i'm sure many of us in here have seen and or done this many time before. but here are a few snap shots. it sure does feel good when a project is finally underway!!!

Next stop is test fitting the LS V-8. 😀

Attachments

• b6.jpg
    b6.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 1,356
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 1,358
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 1,365
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor