Questions for Quadrajet Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you may be able to use a canadian g-body carb. i think some of them didn't have the CCC carb and they'd need the least mods.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hi Mark,
I'll eventually find something I can use. I've taken these apart before and they don't seem too difficult. I would like to convert it to electric choke as you suggest. So the type that's needed is the one with the hot air choke and not the thermostat/ stove on the intake type.
I also notice that some of the later Q-jets are plugged and don't have mixture screws. But that can be easily rectified.

Mega,
Thanks for your suggestions.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jack, the screws are behind the plugs. They added "tamper-proof" caps so well meaning mechanics wouldn't try to adjust the idle mixture but they just pried those off, so then they put those plugs in the way. To get them off you either have to gently work the stakes out of the way, or beat on them with a punch and BFH. When you see a carb with the base all chewed up around the screws, you know which method was used . :roll: Any help you need with a Q-jet just PM me, I've been playing with them for 35 years.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
Bonnewagon said:
Try to get a 75' to 81' carb.

I agree. Definitely stay away from the 80's truck carbs. They use a unique primary metering rod which is not compatible with other q-jet series.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor