Questons about converting power to manual brakes from S10

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLPARTS36

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2008
Hi,
Yes I am I noob,I have a 85 GP and I am to the point where I need to make a brake change to manual ones.I have been trying to find out what will fit on my GP to switch it over from the factory to the S10/Blazers.I want to change the master cylinder and wheel cylinders out only if possible?I have read that the front and rear wheel cylinders off of a Blazer would be a great improvement?As far the master cylinder goes,well I just can't seem to get a straight answer on what year and will fit and work to efficiently stop the car in a drag race scenario? What master cylinder will fit and from what year Blazer will it need to be ordered for to bolt up to the stock location?I'm wanting to go out and get the parts I need to do this.I need the most cost efficient method as possible,the big money kits are out of my reach for now,so I just need to buy myself some time until next year or so.I plan on getting this all from the local auto parts supplier if possible.I have been on the phone with MasterPower Brakes and he was saying something about our cars having some kind of brake setup called "low-drag" that was put into place for a gas saving effort on GM's part.Please any person with 1 st hand knowledge that has done this type of change to your car would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance for your comments and help in getting this accomplished.
Jason :shock:

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Bump. Come on people

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
Just curious, but why would you want to ditch the power brakes? Weight savings? The brake booster can't weigh more than 8-9 pounds, hardly worth the effort.

But if you must, I think some El Caminos might have been available with non-power brakes, that might be your best bet for a bolt in application. Not positive, but it's something to look into.

ALLPARTS36

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2008
Manual brake conversion...Do It Economically,Not Cheap......

midwestls,
I did a lot of research and found out a few things that has got me very close to getting everything needed to do this conversion.I was able to get the firewall plate from MasterPower,LLC.I saw others that were like it for $120 bucks,fancy ones for people with tons of money to waste,go to this website: www.mpbrakes.com/ here is there phone #1888.351.8785,there website is almost useless as its so hard to find things on it.You will need to order Part#AD2732K this is the booster adapter plate with hardware,it is only $21.95,big difference from the $120 from Willwood.You will need a new push rod as the stock power brake one is to short to work,I ordered a longer push rod,9"to make sure it would be long enough.Part#PRBL9 for $12.95,and you will need a push rod eyelet that screws onto the push rod that is cut down for BM1302(that is the stock 3/8" diameter stud) on the end so it will fit on the factory stud that is on your brake pedal.Part#PR101 for $4.95.I then went to Advantage Auto Parts and had them look up a master cylinder for a 82' S10 that they said did not exist?Well after about 1 hour of searching by a incompetent sales person,low and behold "wow your right sir" and purchased it part#10-1905 for $34.99.One thing I didn't like about the master cylinder is that the dimpled place where the push rod from the brake pedal pushes on it is not very deep at all,just enough to mate it to the rod,so as you will see in this link you have to make a "holder" for the push rod as for it not to fall down out of its center position.I will be doing the whole system on mine in a few weeks and I'm sure it will all work out with a little adjustments here and there.Yest the s10 wheel cylinders will make a big difference in the amount of pressure compared to stock ones.I have a narrowed 12 bolt and front disc brakes so I wasn't able to utilize those but I have read they are a super upgrade.All in all I have about $90 BUCKS in the complete conversion,hell that's $30 cheaper than TRZ MOTORSPORTS wanted just for the adapter plate and I got it all NEW! Hope this all helps you and others out there and saves others money as it did me.Just leaves more money to spend where it should be. Have a great weekend.Check out my Ebay Store I may have something you just cant live without...Link at bottom of page.
Jason
here is the link to others who have done it this way.Later man.
http://www.maliburacing.com/manual_brake_conversion.htm :shock:

ALLPARTS36

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2008
Power brake booster weigh?

supercrackerbox said:
Just curious, but why would you want to ditch the power brakes? Weight savings? The brake booster can't weigh more than 8-9 pounds, hardly worth the effort.

But if you must, I think some El Caminos might have been available with non-power brakes, that might be your best bet for a bolt in application. Not positive, but it's something to look into.

Have you ever picked one of those up?They sure seem a lot heavier than 8-9 pounds!I picked one of my NOS ones for a Pontiac the other day and was going to bring it home to list it and it was so heavy I just said f...it,the shipping cost on it would be more than it would be worth,I think he is wanting to switch over for drag racing application?Maybe.Take care all
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor