Quick 4barrel carb ID

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
CCC system that screws up should put you in the fixed position, or "limp home" mode. You can still drive the car, but it'll run like crap. Or, crappier than it does with the CCC operable.

The ECM's themselves are pretty hearty units. I've accidently dropped them, and they still worked fine afterwards. 95% of the time, they are NOT the problem when the system goes t*ts up.

Most of the time, it's a sensor or wiring issue that is causing the problems. Or a combination of them.

If you don't know how to work on them, then yeah, you're much better off bypassing it. Even as simple as it is, you got to understand it to fix it.
And then you've got guys like me... when federal and cardone closed out inventory I bought a couple dozen refurbished ecms at a good price. I know, horror stories on refurb. I figure if 1 in 12 worked right I'm still ahead on money if one ever did go bad for whatever reason.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just about EVERY GM ECM was rebuilt too, so it pretty much didn't matter where you got them.

Components that were usually rebuilt/refurbished for G-bodies when getting replacements from GM...

Alternators
Starters
ECM boxes (still needed to put in your chip)

Back to the E-carburetors for a minute...I speak mostly in generalities here because as the E-series carbs went along, they learned a whole ton about how they acted in the real world so updates to these carbs were done frequently, almost year to year, and sometimes in the middle of the production run. So you can't say "always" for the most part.

As mentioned, the Olds carbs are E4MCs while the Chevies are E4MEs. Adjustments to tune them are different as the Chevy carbs are normally 4-point adjustment carbs where the Olds was 2-point (85-up VIN Y) and 3-point (VIN 9) adjustment carbs. The point number really wasn't the number of adjustments in reality, according to GM. They look at it from a manufacturing technique standpoint. Which is kinda stupid, but well....GM.

There are 4 places that need to be preset on a E-Qjet. The air bleed valve, the rich stop, lean stop, and the idle air mixing screws. Using specialized tools, you rebuild the carb and things get set in the ballpark so when the carb is placed on the car, it should take a few tweaks to get it set where it needs to be. Rich and lean stops were set during assembly.

The Chevy carbs were usually 4-point adjustments. This entails using the air bleed valve AND the idle air mixing screws to adjust the dwell. First you adjust the air bleed valve, then the idle air mixing screws. And if further tweaks to be made, go back to the air bleed valve again, then the screws, until you get it dialed in. Little tweaks are usually all that's needed to get a good needle movement. So don't get all twisty with it.

The Olds VIN 9 carbs were typically 3-point adjustments. The way to tell is on top of the air bleed valve, a letter is stamped in to indicate a 3-point air bleed valve. You would not need to adjust it for dwell once it is preset. You would use only the idle air mixing screws to adjust the dwell. I do know they have metric O-rings on the air bleed valve, and GM goes to great lengths to tell you that replacing those O-rings HAS to be done with metric sized rings (included with the GM carb rebuild kits)

The 2-points were like the 3-points, except the rich stop was "built in", so there's no provision for even adjusting the rich stop. So, there you go. You still would dial in the dwell with the idle mixture screws.

And as always, once everything else is dialed in, adjust your engine curb idle speed last (unless something in the procedure tells you differently).

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
CCC system that screws up should put you in the fixed position, or "limp home" mode. You can still drive the car, but it'll run like crap. Or, crappier than it does with the CCC operable.

The ECM's themselves are pretty hearty units. I've accidently dropped them, and they still worked fine afterwards. 95% of the time, they are NOT the problem when the system goes t*ts up.

Most of the time, it's a sensor or wiring issue that is causing the problems. Or a combination of them.

If you don't know how to work on them, then yeah, you're much better off bypassing it. Even as simple as it is, you got to understand it to fix it.
For sure, I agree with that standpoint.

It’s more the extra money needing to be spent on parts meant for CCC like I mentioned before.

That and just more electrical wiring to deal with, and with age means I will need to have it replaced.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
And then you've got guys like me... when federal and cardone closed out inventory I bought a couple dozen refurbished ecms at a good price. I know, horror stories on refurb. I figure if 1 in 12 worked right I'm still ahead on money if one ever did go bad for whatever reason.
I would guarantee you that the 12 you have originally just had a bad chip. What caused a chip to go bad was a voltage spike like jump starting or bad alternator. I replaced more chips at the dealership do to a spike but never replaced the ecm.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 user

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Just about EVERY GM ECM was rebuilt too, so it pretty much didn't matter where you got them.

Components that were usually rebuilt/refurbished for G-bodies when getting replacements from GM...

Alternators
Starters
ECM boxes (still needed to put in your chip)

Back to the E-carburetors for a minute...I speak mostly in generalities here because as the E-series carbs went along, they learned a whole ton about how they acted in the real world so updates to these carbs were done frequently, almost year to year, and sometimes in the middle of the production run. So you can't say "always" for the most part.

As mentioned, the Olds carbs are E4MCs while the Chevies are E4MEs. Adjustments to tune them are different as the Chevy carbs are normally 4-point adjustment carbs where the Olds was 2-point (85-up VIN Y) and 3-point (VIN 9) adjustment carbs. The point number really wasn't the number of adjustments in reality, according to GM. They look at it from a manufacturing technique standpoint. Which is kinda stupid, but well....GM.

There are 4 places that need to be preset on a E-Qjet. The air bleed valve, the rich stop, lean stop, and the idle air mixing screws. Using specialized tools, you rebuild the carb and things get set in the ballpark so when the carb is placed on the car, it should take a few tweaks to get it set where it needs to be. Rich and lean stops were set during assembly.

The Chevy carbs were usually 4-point adjustments. This entails using the air bleed valve AND the idle air mixing screws to adjust the dwell. First you adjust the air bleed valve, then the idle air mixing screws. And if further tweaks to be made, go back to the air bleed valve again, then the screws, until you get it dialed in. Little tweaks are usually all that's needed to get a good needle movement. So don't get all twisty with it.

The Olds VIN 9 carbs were typically 3-point adjustments. The way to tell is on top of the air bleed valve, a letter is stamped in to indicate a 3-point air bleed valve. You would not need to adjust it for dwell once it is preset. You would use only the idle air mixing screws to adjust the dwell. I do know they have metric O-rings on the air bleed valve, and GM goes to great lengths to tell you that replacing those O-rings HAS to be done with metric sized rings (included with the GM carb rebuild kits)

The 2-points were like the 3-points, except the rich stop was "built in", so there's no provision for even adjusting the rich stop. So, there you go. You still would dial in the dwell with the idle mixture screws.

And as always, once everything else is dialed in, adjust your engine curb idle speed last (unless something in the procedure tells you differently).
You been doing your homework haven't you, excellent write up.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The CCC cars were few and far between up here in Canada so we basically only saw them on 86 through 90 cars. Other than US made special models like the H/O or 442, nothing pre 86. I know one mechanic who I would actually trust to rebuild and calibrate the CCC Quadrajet, my Boss's Uncle Randy who is basically retired. He rebuilt the factory carb on my Boss's 88 Monte Carlo SS, it runs great. Of course if I find a nice H/O or 442, I would do it myself.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Agreed, but for me its the extra money involved.

1. The cost of my distributor, buddy could have given me an HEI for free but I had to buy a new one because it’s computer controlled.

2. The ECM in these cars are over 40 years old. It does not make logical sense to buy a new one, if the cost is going to be too much.

Luckily for me, I have a spare that I got for cheap but that’s not the point. If that breaks on the side of the road? You are going to have to run the ignition in the bypass mode.

And I’m not sure if the E4ME can run without the computer, or if that still means a tow truck.

Now if that was a vacuum operated system? Easy swap, no electrical diagnostics, and someone like myself who’s more inclined in that haha, I just don’t want to get DVM’s or scopes out on the side of the 401 near Toronto where cars are shooting by at sometimes 200 km/h 💯💯

Without computer input the electronic Qjet defaults to full rich mode. With the air fuel mixture solenoid, off is rich and on is lean. That way in an event of a hard CCC failure the engine won't burn up.

Old used OBD1 scanners can be had for pretty cheap such as the Alltest Brainmasters. CCC systems really hate vacuum leaks, which aren't good for any engine.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor