OLDS Radiator choices for Olds G

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The CC162 will work. The trans cooler lines require adapter fittings. Mine don’t leak anyway, and I’ve not heard of anyone with lines leaking.

Regarding keeping the motor cool, I pulled a trailer during Drag Week for hours at a time at 70-75mph without issue.

I’d recommend using the Champion that you have.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I wasn't impressed with the 3 core Champion with my mild 403 in my 88 CSC. It was 195 to 215 with a 160 high flow thermostat, not pulling a trailer, 230+ with a trailer in low 30C(90F) outside temp max. I used the Dodge Stratus fans, which move a lot of air. Like I said, this rad surround kit is a very good investment, especially with the small Euro grills. It probably dropped temps by 10 to 20 degrees.
Or get really fancy.

Last edited:

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I wasn't impressed with the 3 core Champion with my mild 403 in my 88 CSC. It was 195 to 215 with a 160 high flow thermostat, not pulling a trailer, 230+ with a trailer in low 30C(90F) outside temp max. I used the Dodge Stratus fans, which move a lot of air. Like I said, this rad surround kit is a very good investment, especially with the small Euro grills. It probably dropped temps by 10 to 20 degrees.
Or get really fancy.
I have the stock rad surrounds installed like from the factory. I also have the little chin director below the radiator installed. I have a feeling that the front spoiler/dam is blocking some of the normal flow and causing, at least, some of the issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have the stock rad surrounds installed like from the factory. I also have the little chin director below the radiator installed. I have a feeling that the front spoiler/dam is blocking some of the normal flow and causing, at least, some of the issues.
The factory Olds surrounds were there as well. I fixed the one below the crossmember, it did squat. The full GN surround helps cooling by at least 10 degrees. That Champion may be enough with the full GN surround.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If I need to get an aux trans cooler, I could just get the aux cooler and use the Champion rad I already have. Maybe I should just do that. I was trying to find a badass rad with the integrated cooler, though.
I would first check to see if your Champion requires adapter fittings for your trans lines, since they leaked it most likely has a 1/4" NPT and not the inverted flare required to seal correctly.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I’m going to do some experiments. First will be the 951 installed with the Derale fans. I’ll let it idle sitting still. If it goes high in temperature even with fans running, I’ll put in the Champion. Then do the same thing. If it stays cool at idle, I’ll drive it. If it heats up while driving, I’ll look into directing more air into it.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I would first check to see if your Champion requires adapter fittings for your trans lines, since they leaked it most likely has a 1/4" NPT and not the inverted flare required to seal correctly.
They are correct. Just too deep. I’ll take pics

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
They are correct. Just too deep. I’ll take pics
The factory trans lines will do exactly as you are describing, they will screw into the radiator and fully tighten but because it is not set up for the inverted flare you will still be able to push the steel line in farther giving the impression that you need longer ends on your trans lines to tighten it farther but really the adapter is needed.

Last edited:

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
The factory trans lines will do exactly as you are describing, they will screw into the radiator and fully tighten but because it is not set up for the inverted flare you will still be able to push the steel line in farther giving the impression that you need longer ends on your trans lines to tighten it farther but really the adapter is needed.
I really appreciate your input and I have not been as forthcoming and to the point as I should have been. The inverted flare is there and is obvious. I’ll get a pic once I get done screwing with this 403

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor