OLDS Radiator choices for Olds G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
I am ready to buy a new radiator for the silver car, however, I want something that will actually do a good job. I have the original shroud, mechanical fan and hardware. I also have a Derale dual fan setup with 120A relays that I could use (with two mechanical temp sensors driving the relays). I really need a high capacity rad to keep this cool with A/C in the Florida summer heat. The 951 Modine doesn't quite keep up AND the Champion that I bought has automatic trans cooling lines fittings that are too deep for stock lines. They never bottom before running out of threads. Leak all to hell. Don't know if the Champion is better since I can't use it.

Anyway, I can put the Modine back in, but I can't really drive in the summer like that with the A/C on.

Any good suggestions? I saw the Cold Case debacle with oldmansmonte, so I guess I am gonna stay away from them. I really want to order something right now.
They make adapters to allow for the deeper fittings to work with the early gm transmission lines. Any radiator shop should have a handful from unused ones from radiator installs. I used to keep them just in case of just such problems or to solder in if someone stripped one out.
As far as size get either a high density(high fin count) 4 row copper and brass core radiator (you’d probably have to modify the mounting) a high density 3 row or a similar radiator in aluminum.
If you go on Spectra Radiator site you can figure out how heavy duty you can go. Or even Summit or Jegs can get you pretty well lined up with what you need.
The thing you have to remember is the inside lip of the core side to side is how wide you can go. About 26” I believe, that allows for the tanks to fit. And I can’t remember what CFM you want exactly but 2600 to 3000 is what comes to mind for proper pull through fans with a shroud.

Last edited:

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Is the upper trans line just as deep as the lower?
It appears there is enough material on the Champion to just grind off .1285 to give it matching depth to your Modine but make sure it is sealed good first before attempting.
I also think you could still use some adapters that would match up to your radiator threads and the inverted flare on your lines.
I actually have plugged it in prep for grinding before, but then backed off thinking I wanted something new. I think I am gonna just go ahead and grind them both down (they are approx the same depth).
Thanks all for letting me talk this out and coming to a conclusion. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor