raising the rear of my GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamon8

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2008
southern IL
the springs do not feel worn out and the rear is tighter than the front

I just dont like the stance at all. It sits lower in the rear than in the front which I know is normal for these cars but I dont like it

does anyone make a spacer or can I fab something up to get 1inch or so of lift in the rear

thank you

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
I wouldn't recommend putting spacers in, they are not a good idea, i have an 84 GP and i changed my rear springs 2 years ago, all you have to do is order rear springs from an older GP say,,, 1970-1975 make sure you say that you have Air conditioning also,,,,(the springs are more heavy duty)and that's it!!! they fit fine and will lift your car a good 2 inches or more!!!
They will settle down a little after a year or so and the stance will look good!!! :wink:

Wolf001

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
somebody already told me to put malibu station-wagon springs, that helped alot!!

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
Consider cutting off half a coil or putting lowering springs in the front. It will give you the stance you want while lowering the center of gravity. Better for handling than jacking up the rear.

arocars

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 1, 2007
Massachusetts
Go to the parts store and get shock extenders. They're made by Mr. Gasket or something like that. They can raise the back of the car 1-3" for $20 +/-

elky-to-go

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 23, 2008
Fitchburg,MA.
raising rear end

Hi we just raised our 79 elky; by getting malibu staionwagon rear springs; got about 2" more height. Johns'

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i'd do the wagon method or the older GP springs. mods like extenders, spacers, and cutting coils can be unpledictable. if you use lowering springs in the front you should still do new springs in back and new shocks that are matched to the spring rate.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
i needed to lift the rear of the monte and what i did works great. I bought the coil springs for a iroc convertible camaro and bought the spring isolators for the same which go between the coil and the frame. This gave me an overla lift of about 2" which looks great on my car. The spring rate is nearly double than the factory monte bushing. so in total i lifted my car with factory gm parts or moog replacment parts for about $100 total. no air shocks, no shock extenders no spring spacers just good gm parts.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I think even OEM springs make the car look like it's on stilts. Lowering the car an inch front and back makes the car much more stable and gives the car a great stance. Also the back end of a G body is too light to begin with so raising the back end shifts even more weight to the front. I guess a raised back end is ok for straight roads but all the roads in my area have curves..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor