RAREST G BODY MONTE CARLO SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
So I guess the white with tan interior is worth 20K?

Condition and mileage matter. I'm more of a data person so I can show you what Monte Carlos have been going for this year at auction...

1665624716110.png

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Agreed. Around here trailer parks are full of monte SS.... holdover from the Earnhardt days I suppose. Car of choice for that crowd.

No 3rd gens though. I guess price spike had to do with that? Dunno.
I think 69hustolds should start making these decals and sell them to Earnhardt fans with their monte ss. He would make a killing
20221012_195240.jpg
20221012_195047.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Still believe 58U (likely) didn’t happen or we would of had some kind of proof in in the past 34-35 years. Possible only a handful made it, if it did exist a chance it was dropped and not many dealers or (any?) customers ordered it.

They dropped sage green and light yellow in the LS mid or early 87’ model year, I have some notes on that from a copy I have for 87’ Monte’s. As unpopular as those colors were/are and how few probably ordered or no repainted another color those cars still pop on FB groups by owners or for sale.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
What? No door decals? Dang, its a wonder they didn't make those goodwrench decals for the sport mirrors.

The 87 information guide lists the popular colors of 86 Monte sales, but it doesn't go into how many cars were what colors. So as I said before, the information was there, GM just made public what information they wanted to make public. Light brown was nowhere NEAR a popular color in 86 models apparently. So it makes sense it was still not popular in 87. Rather interesting the SS was only about a third of Monte production. Thought it'd be closer to 1/2, but there you go. Notice, too, the top 6 colors made up 80% of the color sales in 86 models up through their sample period. Apparently, my anectdotal guesstimates of what colors of Monte SS's I was seeing on the streets seems to play out. Silver wasn't as popular as the black/white/burgundy colors, but obviously more popular than light brown.

87 Monte Popular models colors.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
What? No door decals? Dang, its a wonder they didn't make those goodwrench decals for the sport mirrors.

The 87 information guide lists the popular colors of 86 Monte sales, but it doesn't go into how many cars were what colors. So as I said before, the information was there, GM just made public what information they wanted to make public. Light brown was nowhere NEAR a popular color in 86 models apparently. So it makes sense it was still not popular in 87. Rather interesting the SS was only about a third of Monte production. Thought it'd be closer to 1/2, but there you go. Notice, too, the top 6 colors made up 80% of the color sales in 86 models up through their sample period. Apparently, my anectdotal guesstimates of what colors of Monte SS's I was seeing on the streets seems to play out. Silver wasn't as popular as the black/white/burgundy colors, but obviously more popular than light brown.

View attachment 208866

Another good find, along with the document by 84 W40 showing 58U for the SS. I have wondered which style gold SS stripes they used (whether in reality or planned). Nice to have that answered. I recall seeing this color % breakdown awhile ago, or somewhere. I should go through what I have again. I'd like to believe they were made and some exist. Not a ton of white/saddle ones but even those optioned like I'd want have turned up for sale on FB groups, about 3-4 in the past year. Too bad each one is either heavily modified and 1-2 were pretty much rot boxes/rough projects, the only original ones.

Not to get off topic but I never heard of 87' GN's possibly getting 3.73's. Did a quick search on turbobuick.com and didn't find anything, figured those guys would have it covered whether a rumor or true. Since drivetrains are approved factoring in gear ratio I would be surprised if they would have two different ones available, not that it couldn't of happened based on that alone.

Maybe when I'm a bit older and if I haven't needed or want to keep my spare parts I can build a what-would/could-of-been SS and paint it the light gold metallic color. Just would need more saddle interior than what I currently have. Just so I can see one in reality.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Another good find, along with the document by 84 W40 showing 58U for the SS. I have wondered which style gold SS stripes they used (whether in reality or planned). Nice to have that answered. I recall seeing this color % breakdown awhile ago, or somewhere. I should go through what I have again. I'd like to believe they were made and some exist. Not a ton of white/saddle ones but even those optioned like I'd want have turned up for sale on FB groups, about 3-4 in the past year. Too bad each one is either heavily modified and 1-2 were pretty much rot boxes/rough projects, the only original ones.

Not to get off topic but I never heard of 87' GN's possibly getting 3.73's. Did a quick search on turbobuick.com and didn't find anything, figured those guys would have it covered whether a rumor or true. Since drivetrains are approved factoring in gear ratio I would be surprised if they would have two different ones available, not that it couldn't of happened based on that alone.

Maybe when I'm a bit older and if I haven't needed or want to keep my spare parts I can build a what-would/could-of-been SS and paint it the light gold metallic color. Just would need more saddle interior than what I currently have. Just so I can see one in reality.
A good friend of mine is the one that brought it to my attention on the 3.73 rear that was documented on a forum. I gave him a call about what forum it was, it wasn't Turbobuick my fault it's GNTTYPE.ORG. I apologize of giving out the incorrect forum, never looked into it didn't need to.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Here is another possible would be or what could of been when looking through stuff, I almost forgot about it but am highly doubtful any were made this way, maroon with saddle interior, listed twice as possibilities so I’m sure not a typo:
E577785B-79A9-4C98-8E73-2BF27BA0DBAA.jpeg

37A89E78-B873-4427-B869-419218FF4BE2.jpeg

And in 87’ showing the crossed off colors that were no longer available in LS’s. I swore I had something showing roughly when they stopped. I believe somewhat early in the 87’ model year.

9FFE65C3-CB74-4CE8-A0CA-85E21E0C270A.jpeg

I’ve never seen a light and medium brown two tone LS.

Reactions: 1 user

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Here is another possible would be or what could of been when looking through stuff, I almost forgot about it but am highly doubtful any were made this way, maroon with saddle interior, listed twice as possibilities so I’m sure not a typo: View attachment 209040

View attachment 209041

And in 87’ showing the crossed off colors that were no longer available in LS’s. I swore I had something showing roughly when they stopped. I believe somewhat early in the 87’ model year.

View attachment 209042
I’ve never seen a light and medium brown two tone LS.
There was definitely changes made in the beginning of 87 production. That documentation that you provided looks like to me it was carried over from 86 to 87 thats why you have colors crossed out.
Here are the changes made in 87 for the Monte and LS
20221016_123622.jpg
20221016_123640.jpg
20221016_123657.jpg

Just for the he'll of it I looked in the 1986 Engineering book and this is what I found on the LS. NOTE. the writing on that page is not mine, it's the Engineers writing.
20221016_131638.jpg

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Along the same lines......I have always had in the back of my mind to build a tribute 87/88 dark blue metallic SS. It would combine the best (IMO) factory SS color with the best differentiating features (I prefer 86-88 wheels, cluster, and 87-88 tail lights).

BTW......has anyone ever heard why dark blue metallic did not carry over into 85 production?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor