RAREST G BODY MONTE CARLO SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Wait...we are failing to mention the rarest of the rare "Mexican Monta Carla with the foafittyfoa foa speed, wita wita clutch fan and blue mota monts".
Still always good for a laugh or two.:ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO:

• Agree
  • Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That is the rarest.

1984 only, sold to Mexico. All 25 of them.

270hp LM1 350ci, Rochester 4 barrel Carb, Saginaw 4spd, 3.73 Gear Dana 44. White, Blue, or Black paint with 14" checkerboard aluminum wheels, full dash like a Grand Prix. No rear Spoiler. Power door locks, manual windows.
Also GP buckets and door panels.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Mexican Monte SS 1.png

Mexican Monte SS.png

Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I think the rarest SS car I ever seen was not a Monte but it was a g-body. It was a El Camino choo choo custom SS brown with brown interior 5.7 diesel ugly slug. It had a j head 455 with a rod knock dumped in it and we bought it at the nada auction in bordentown New Jersey when I was a dealer still in highschool we put a stock Chevy 350 with a the 350 in it cleaned it up took off the diesel emblems and sold it back in the same lane at the sale (as is) it's where the hooker super comp headers in my 87 cutlass came from.

Reactions: 1 user

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
I did see one that color in 1987 driving by a dealer in Malden MA, Davidson Chevrolet.
This dealership always had about 20-25 monte ss along the fence street view and that one odd ball color is what made me turn around and pull into the dealership to look at it. No I didn't have my Kodak disc camera with me for proof but it did have tan interior. I remember the salesman asking me if I liked the color and I said no, he agreed and said it's not a popular color it will sit on the the lot for a while.
Did they make them that color yes I was looking at one new at a dealer back in 1987. How many were made in that color no clue it wasn't a popular color back in 87 on an SS.
I found this in my NPN books I have. This information is from the GM engineers and sent out to all the Zone Offices back in 1987.
20221011_215731.jpg
20221011_220003.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
58U. The Medusa of the G-body Monte SS color palette.

Now that's two people that have claims to have seen this bigfoot of a car. I had an 86 Monte SS bought new, and I always noticed when someone else was driving a similar car. And I've never seen this color on an 87 Monte SS ever. Which doesn't mean anything. I've just never seen one. The silver was semi-rare as compared to black or white, and even burgundy, but I'd seen enough of them to know that silver was a color choice for public consumption without ever looking at a brochure. It was many years after this that I was even aware that a light brown 87 Monte SS supposedly existed. I think it would have been different had GM shown all the Monte SS colors in the brocure on the car pics themselves. Maybe. I dunno.

GM always did some stupid sh*t with their production and I wouldn't put anything past them. PERHAPS...just thinking out loud here...the color was initially offered, and then after it wasn't well-received, got dumped early on. There may be a dealer bulletin somewhere announcing that if that was the case. I've seen that before. Or crap gets added or changed mid-cycle (think 84 H/O fan belt routing and horn cap) and nobody says anything. And perhaps those early cars that had 58U didn't survive.

At any rate, you would think there would be some sort of evidence out there of "proof of life". Usually, factory information was printed up before the production run, but without a date stamp, who knows? Anyway, looking up the information, no mention of 58 as an available color on the 87 Monte SS. As such, the disclaimer on the bottom of every page says to refer to the dealer ordering information for the latest info. Basically meaning it's always "subject to change."

87 Monte Carlo Available Colors.jpg

And looking at the dealer ordering guide as revised of 9/8/86, it still isn't showing the availability of 58.

87 Monte Carlo Dealer Order Guide Colors 9-8-86.jpg

We do have some evidence 58 was at least authorized to be available early on. One, the engineering book that 84 W40 has, and the August printing of the Monte Carlo dealership brochure. ???? They've also done the "late availability" thing on some options/colors, so it wouldn't even suprise me that it might have been a late model year offering and nobody ever took them up on it because they didn't advertise it?

Conflicting info from GM themselves. Imagine that.

87 Monte Carlo brochure section.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor