Nov 12, 2015
mpls
White with a tan or gold interior

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yellow with green interior. Never seen one. :) The real question is, the value of rare is in the eye of the beholder.

If I were going to guess, the rarest would be, IMO, might be a blue 83 Monte SS. They made 4,714 Monte SS total, in either white or blue. And from what I've seen, I can only extrapolate that there are way more white than blue ones out there. Have no ideas of the actual numbers but even if it's 50/50, that's only like 2,357 blue ones. I think it's closer to <2000. Just a guess.

Seriously, the information is there, but GM never assembled and broke down those sort of numbers to any detail for public consumption. Believe it or not, GM didn't keep records of every option on cars for the most part. T-tops and sunroofs on G-bodies, while a popular discussion, never had the CC1/CF5 RPO counted and released to the public. It was much easier to compile if any info could be derived by VIN codes, such as engines and whether the car was a base model or SS or something. Depending on the year, paint colors, hardtop or convertible, transmission and engine availability, and specialty models. That was about it. May be a few other major RPOs. But never top options. That information is usually for executives making future sales decisions. So us mortals have to know where to go find the stuff, if it was even available.

Camaro owners used to have an "in" with one of the execs involved with the production of GM shows until he retired. He used to be the Camaro assistant brand manager. He was a Camaro guy through and through, and he always tossed out the numbers as soon as they were ready on prior year sales. Even in 2002, there was no idea how many T-top Camaros were made vs non-T-top. Couldn't have been many, though. Seems like all the 2002 Camaros had T-tops, except ours. Our 2010 Camaro 2SS w/automatic (all Camaros were hard tops in 2010) with the Transformers Edition RPO CTH came only in yellow/black interior. Ours is 1 of 808 sold in the U.S. with a total production of 1,916. Our loaded out 2013 ZL1 is 1 of 53 Crystal Red tintcoat convertibles with 6 speed manual transmission. That's as far down as it goes. And with the wife's 2020 CT5-Vseries, its 1 of 1,127. And these are the best breakdowns possible.

Reactions: 1 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The rarest based on color would be an 87 in the light sandstone metallic (light brown) which would most likely have been built with a saddle interior. This was under RPO code 58U. Much rarer than white on saddle or black on saddle.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The rarest based on color would be an 87 in the light sandstone metallic (light brown) which would most likely have been built with a saddle interior. This was under RPO code 58U. Much rarer than white on saddle or black on saddle.
Has anyone verified this color actually existed on an SS? I've never even seen a picture of it. Probably like the Sand gray interiors on an 84 H/O. Never happened even when it was originally listed as an option. I think it ranks right up there with the yellow with green interior.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Just go to a car show and look for the one that has the poster in front of their car with every number of everything broken down and how "rare" it is.

I'm talking everything, down to lugnuts and certain hose clamps..seen it.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Has anyone verified this color actually existed on an SS? I've never even seen a picture of it. Probably like the Sand gray interiors on an 84 H/O. Never happened even when it was originally listed as an option. I think it ranks right up there with the yellow with green interior.
There was a guy here in South Jersey that had one about 12 years ago. I never got a chance to talk to him or snap pictures. So yes it was possible but I never saw the body tag to verify.

And yes GM did make cars yellow with a green interior in 68 and 69. Chevrolets with Butternut yellow with ashgold (looks green) in 68 and Butternut yellow with frost green in 69. I have seen Corvairs, Camaros and Chevelles like this.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'd think the 1986 aerocoupe would be rarest. 200 total produced

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor