rat rod gbody? and whats the lowest static?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbird1986

Greasemonkey
Aug 20, 2009
Indianapolis
Anyone running rat style gbody? got pics? and what the lowest static drop yall are running?

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
Though I dont have any pictures up yet, my 1986 Buick Regal Limited is in the process of becoming a rat rod, it all ready has a crappy (by design) flat black paint job, painted the stock steel wheels red, have yet to install my new white wall tires. As far as the lowest static drop, how are you looking to drop the car, torch the springs, cut the springs, or what. Remember a rat rod by definition is a low budget ride. Ive heated springs on my very first car, an 82 cutlass, with no ill effects. I actually put some 2x4s under the frame all the way around and heated the coils until it sit on the blocks. I let it sit for a day or two and voila, lowered suspension. Low budget for a 16 year old at the time. Probably will do this route with the rat rod buick.

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
Though I havent done my regal yet, iirc my cutlass dropped at least 2.5 to 3 inches all the way around. I couldnt fit the toe of my shoes between the frame and the ground if that gives you an idea of the ride height afterwards. I did have 195/60/14s installed on 14x7 wire wheels.

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
Yes, all I did was heat the coils until it layed on the blocks and let it sit for a day, a lot fo people will tell you not to do it or that its better to cut the coils, I didnt have an issue and the ride wasnt that bad at all. Of course harse riding cars dont really bother me too much either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor