RAWDOGG - 84 Grand Prix "Pro Touring" Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Re: Surprise - A glimpse of what I've been upto!

khan0165 said:
that is super super well done!

how did you do the little trim around the vent area?
Hehe, well the original plan was to make big holes and put black mesh inside. I searched the internet high and low for some kind of alternative and found many "ventiports" as Buick called them, even ordered a set of functional chrome ones that turned out to be too big, and never used them (waste of a few hundred $$$).

Then I considered the ones from the new Buick Luscerne:
x08bu_lc013.jpg

Didn't think they'd work for my purpose but when I did a test fit, it made the hood look MEAN. $75 bucks a piece from the dealer. The best look was to leave them chrome (unpainted) with the existing black mesh.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada

wow,
now that's called usin your head!

looks awesome 8)

01GPGT

Apprentice
Jul 16, 2008

not bad. some things are not my style but i can tell alot of work went into the car :mrgreen:

i like your idea of using the center vents for guages i did that on my 82

sui_winbolo

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2006
North Dakota

Wow, your Grand Prix looks incredible! Very clean, and so much work done to it, it really is a one of a kind. Good job!

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

sui_winbolo said:
Wow, your Grand Prix looks incredible! Very clean, and so much work done to it, it really is a one of a kind. Good job!
Thankyou bro! :)

Here's an update:

Good news: I got the fixed distributor back from Edelbrock earlier this month and when it was put back on the car, she fired right up!

Bad news: It ran rough as sh*t. Fuel injectors were clogged again. One cylinder even getting ZERO fuel.

Well, I had them (8 injectors) shipped out to be professionally cleaned and tested, and got 'em back today. Gonna put them on the car. Enabled "regular" insurance on the car, effective today.

If she runs like she should, for the very first time, I get to drive her (to get an alignment). It's August freakin 31st already for crying out loud. If I get any other setbacks, she'll be going into storage for winter. Hope she's not a b*tch today, but I'll find out very shortly.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
It's Alive!

After the injectors were cleaned it seems the fuel pump was full of crud and there was sh*t in the gas tank. Concluded there was bleach put in my tank to sabotage the car. Had to tow the car, flush the tank, clean the fuel gauge sending unit and replace the fuel pump (which was very expensive at $500EA).

After the new fuel pump went on, she ran like a champ!

IT'S FINALLY ALIVE!!!! Throttle response is INSTANT, she finally revs freely, no backfire, no hesitation, nothing. She can breath and just suck that gas down!!! Revs up and roars very nicely and idles very steady!

Drove her from the shop to the alignment shop, just around the corner... steering was loose, so I took it easy on her. Giving her just a touch of gas to move very nice and easy, and she chirped the tires off the start.
Kept it going and she purred like a kitten, then she chirped the tires into 2nd without me trying! Just trying to take it easy on her still. Obviously she needs fine tuning and calibration.

YEs, SHE'S ALIVE!!!!

The bad news: My girlfriend wants to go away for 10 days with a couple who's really good friends with us, down to Myrtle Beach. Yeah right. The car is delayed by 3 freaking years, summers passed me by, even THIS SUMMER passed me by and the VERY DAY I get her running, you want me to LEAVE for 10 freaking days on vacation?@?!@?!?!?!!!???

So they have been bugging/nagging with every excuse, it's cheap, it's an opportunity to "get away", they will lend us cash for the trip, yadda yadda yadda... yeah ok, whatever. I checked the weather forecast and since it's warm/suny for the next 2 days, I'm gonna drive mybaby all day, all night LOL. Then on Sunday when it starts to rain, we leave for a week. I hope it rains over here for a week and I really mean that. The whole time I'm gone I'll be stuck with a boner, dreaming of my baby... *sigh* feels so nice to be in love again. Hahahaa and this b*tch is for life, trust me. RAWDOGG.

I will be sure to take tons of pictures and videos over the next two days as well!!!!! :mrgreen:

supkylesup

Master Mechanic
Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH

lol congrats man
hard work is always hard but the payoff in the end is so worth it

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ

if it's running take a swing by the Car Show in the CTC Parking Lot at 427 & Queensway Sat night.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH

Dig this car. Can't wait to hear about your driveing impressions & experiences with this car. Hope you have a good posi, lower control arms, air bags, adjustable uppers or some way of setting the instant center and maybe some 70/30 or adjustable shocks up front for weight transfer. Because you are going to need all the traction help you can get. :mrgreen: And oh yea as said before some drag radials. Maybe 295/50/15s or 275/60/15s. I have had good luck with both the M&Hs and Nittos on my drivers. I wanted to do a frame notch and try 295/65/15s but havent. I did find with the 29" tall tires you need about a 27" tall up front to look right which didn't excite me.

I dig the lil black rubber trim around the bottom of the car. The big engine may sort of warrant the big exhaust tips but with the rest of the package gives it a bit of a ricer or red neck pick up truck look. Not to offend as I love the car just my thoughts. Come on man we need a driveing report I need a vicarious hot rod experience. :lol:

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
September 10, 2010 Update (Pics and vids):

axisg said:
if it's running take a swing by the Car Show in the CTC Parking Lot at 427 & Queensway Sat night.
Won't make it this Saturday, as the shift cable needs tweaking. Some minor adjustments too. I will be away for a week after that but my first show will likely be the Queensway/427 Car Show. Never been and have always wanted to go.

dogshit said:
Dig this car. Can't wait to hear about your driveing impressions & experiences with this car. Hope you have a good posi, lower control arms, air bags, adjustable uppers or some way of setting the instant center and maybe some 70/30 or adjustable shocks up front for weight transfer. Because you are going to need all the traction help you can get. :mrgreen: And oh yea as said before some drag radials. Maybe 295/50/15s or 275/60/15s. I have had good luck with both the M&Hs and Nittos on my drivers. I wanted to do a frame notch and try 295/65/15s but havent. I did find with the 29" tall tires you need about a 27" tall up front to look right which didn't excite me.

I dig the lil black rubber trim around the bottom of the car. The big engine may sort of warrant the big exhaust tips but with the rest of the package gives it a bit of a ricer or red neck pick up truck look. Not to offend as I love the car just my thoughts. Come on man we need a driveing report I need a vicarious hot rod experience. :lol:

Posi is Detroit Locker from Currie. Suspension is the full G-body kit from Ridetech which includes tubular control arms, strong arms, front and rear sway bars and aluminum double adjustable shocks. I can control the 4 corners pressure individually from the dash controller. I currently have 295/50/15 Toyo Proxes on there. I will eventually switch to Nitto NT555 DRs @ 315/50/15s on the rear. I won't be drag racing the car, it's mostly for cruising and car shows and to just sit around having some beers lol. That's about it.

September 10, 2010 Update (Pics and vids):

normal_P1060354.JPG

normal_P1060353.JPG

normal_P1060349.JPG

normal_P1060337.JPG

normal_P1060338.JPG

[youtube]0snLyC1p2kE[/youtube]
[youtube]ee4jSFLjjWA[/youtube]
[youtube]IMUm-az3jFg[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor