Gbodywarehouse

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2008
Dunlap TN

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
hmmm, ive always heard about people dyeing their int. parts.... i kinda always thought it'd be more of a dyeing process and not like spray painting, lol.

looks easy though. so i guess its just a matter of the spray you use? need a specific dye spray.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
should be 'how to spray paint'

Armor all isn't a solvent. What you use to remove armor all is the solvent :wtf:

Make sure if you do this to use an adhesion promoter as a primer:
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/adhesion.html
or it'll chip off in a few months of use, even with the clear coat

Gbodywarehouse

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2008
Dunlap TN
custom
Thanks for your opinions,

Just some light background here I have done this for a living for 10+ years and reset colors on nearly 2500 parts per year of the 2500 parts per year we have had maybe 5 items come back per year. (It is safe to say I know what the hell I am doing. (LOL I better I suppose after this long.)

We offer the promoter although I am not a fan as I have had issues with it and the SEM then NOT sticking as well.

Phoenix

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2009
Kansas City, MO
I only have a few things to contribute to this. I agree about not using the promoter: A.) it isn't necessary at all if you do the prep work properly, and B.) it is just one of those additional products that people try to tack on to other products they sell to make more money.

Solvents like paint thinner and dewax work, but they can leave residue. My recommendation is to first wash your parts in the sink like dishes using Dawn dish soap. If they aren't new and came off a car, they are not only dirty anyway, but the Dawn removes grease and oil and wax very very well. The next prep step is to use 95% isopropyl alcohol and clean white cloth from old t-shirts to wipe them down thoroughly...and use Q-tips dipped in the alcohol to get in crevices and hard to reach spots.

Alcohol is not only really cheap, but it is a great solvent for water based and oil based residues...and it evaporates clean, meaning it leaves no residue of its own.

SEM also sells a wide range of colors that do not come in a spray can. They can also color match and make custom colors. Preval sprayers are little compressed air spray canisters that screw onto a bottle that you put the paint in. The spray produced is even finer than what you get in any spray can, and both the kits and additional canisters are extremely cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor