Real street cars need apply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
and people say T5's can't handle power.... :)

I witnessed a 260whp 5.3 rip 3rd out of an Astro gutted T5 late in the final at Hallett a couple years ago. That's not the only one, but they do hold up decently with such little power. 30 minutes of WOT is hard on everything though.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I witnessed a 260whp 5.3 rip 3rd out of an Astro gutted T5 late in the final at Hallett a couple years ago. That's not the only one, but they do hold up decently with such little power. 30 minutes of WOT is hard on everything though.

the gears are not the issue with the T5 or the T5 WC, The case is the achelles heal of the T5 and that shows up taking off at the line from a dead stop, not when its rolling. And anything that would take 30 minutes at WOT to do the 1/4 won't have the power to hurt a T5.... :popcorn:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
the gears are not the issue with the T5 or the T5 WC, The case is the achelles heal of the T5 and that shows up taking off at the line from a dead stop, not when its rolling. And anything that would take 30 minutes at WOT to do the 1/4 won't have the power to hurt a T5.... :popcorn:

This isn't 1/4 mile, this is road racing. With 3rd being the farthest from a bearing my understanding is that this gear is a problem. I've never personally broken one. Come to think of it, isn't 5th and reverse out back? Meaning 3rd isn't the farthest away?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
T5's have a place - low HP or lightweight cars. All of them will break like a toothpick with any kind of real power. With that said, I put one in my kids '67 C20 behind an Inline 250. Been there for almost 30K miles. Works fine, probably could use a set of synchro rings.

Just had the T5 debate with a friend with a crate 302 in a Fairmont wagon. He swears it's plenty tough enough, and I agreed for 15-16 second 1/4's. He's just about ready to throw some laughing gas at it, and I reminded him that a magnet won't pickup all of the debris from his transmission (hehe).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
T5's have a place - low HP or lightweight cars. All of them will break like a toothpick with any kind of real power. With that said, I put one in my kids '67 C20 behind an Inline 250. Been there for almost 30K miles. Works fine, probably could use a set of synchro rings.

Just had the T5 debate with a friend with a crate 302 in a Fairmont wagon. He swears it's plenty tough enough, and I agreed for 15-16 second 1/4's. He's just about ready to throw some laughing gas at it, and I reminded him that a magnet won't pickup all of the debris from his transmission (hehe).

I put one behind a GT40P top swapped 5.0 HO in my Crown Vic for a couple years and it did fine. I think I eeked out a high 15 second pass at 4700' (DA was over 7000' IIRC with an atrocious 60'. I really wish I'd have rerun it after the 3.73 and traklok. They shut us down for wind after 3 or 4 passes so I never did get it figured out that day with the open 3.08

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
The car in that video is not running a stock T5 in my opinion. They can be made to easily handle 11.40 @ 120 behind a lower torque engine. It's an impressive car. Does it ever get driven?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor