Rear axle help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

fonz3482

Apprentice
Mar 7, 2011
eden, ny
I've been trying to research a ford 8.8 swap. Around here we have alot of rusted, and junked ford vehicles that have the 8.8 in them. From what i've read so far, people are saying an explorer rear is your best bet, they are a strong, have disk brakes, posi, and geared good from the factory. My question is, a see that the pinion is offset. How do you make that work?? Is there certain years to look for in a 8.8 that work best?? Has anyone on this forum done such a swap?? I probably am opening up another can of worms here, but it does seem like my cheapiest, most available way to go right now. Thanks!!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
ligoatpar said:
1964-65 GM A body 8.2 rears are 1" wider than the stock g body. 1967-72 are 2" wider. SSM used to make a bolt in for this swap. you can still find them around. 8.2's are stronger than people give them credit for. An axle upgrade will be beneficial. The 12 bolt rears of this era are the same widths. There are some differences betweem mfg's for the 12 bolt internals. You can make these fit by modifying the upper arms for the G body by drilling different holes, forward of the originals, and widening the arm at that point to fit the rear ear. Use the stock G body lower arms. The shock mount is a little off too. You would need to use the early sway bar for a sway bar application, using these rears. lotsa luck, whatever you decide.

12 bolt or the 8.2 64-67 A body rears are 2.5" wider and a 68-72 are 4.5" wider. I have a 67 8.2 and JBrue has a 12 bolt from the 68-72 model. On the 64-72 models the upper conversion from UMI works great nut the 64-67 model does not line up with the lowers. I used a UMI lower that UMI customized to install a roto joint that accommodates the angle on the rear end. Jbrue used the stock G body sway bar with the wider rear. The G body sway will not fit on my 67 model so I used the F body rear sway with a little modification. The stock axles on my 8.2 are good to up to 500 hp so I don't know what your concerns are.

ligoatpar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2005
Southampton, Pa.
Well, I had a '65 Olds cutlass rear with a 455 Pontiac, a Muncie M20 and a 3:23 rear gear. (In a '79 Lemans wagon) Dragstrip launches with drag radials, produced a 1/2 turn of twist in the stock axles. (paint a line on the axle before install) When I was younger, my friend snapped an axle in a stock '65 8.2 with street tires and 5 people in the car. So that was my concern with the axles. When I originally purchased the car it had a '67 or '68 rear. Putting the earlier rear in helped with outside tire clearance. Maybe I'm off with my dimensions, but the earlier rear fit better. The car was also fitted with "no hop" bars on the upper control arm mounts, which in my opinion made it easier to fit the rear with the upper control arms. I have no experience with the Ford rear, other than knowing it's a strong unit. I just feel that if you're on a budget, and want a stronger rear than the 7.5, the 8.2 is still affordable and available. There is a moderate aftermarket support in gears and hardware. It's all what you want to do. Lotsa luck and have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor