rear brake drums help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hddave1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2008
im working on a rear end i just got from a 85 monte ss and im having a hell of a time getting the brake drums off...usualy they pull right off but not this time..is there a trick to getting rusty drums off..

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
beat the living piss out of them with a hammer... you have rust lip syndrome... thats the only way we do it... the only thing is once you get them off you might as well replace everything...

hddave1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2008
lol..well thats what i ended up doing with a 2lbs sledg hammer..yep and i'll have to replace them..thanks

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
At work I use a torch and heat up the area of the drum around the axle to a red color then they slid right off.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
one thing you can do is beat on it to break free what rust you can, then use a pry bar to turn the axle until the access hole lines up with the adjuster. then you back the adjuster off all the way. then the drums SHOULD slide off. sometime you still need to use some "persuasion" or turn the drums back and forth as you pull them. you may still ruin the springs and scrape the shoes, but only if things are really bad.
i use those methods all the time as a mechanic and never had to break a drum.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
I would be leery heating it up to red back there. The rubber cups on the wheel cylinders aren't designed for super heat.

hddave1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2008
i ended up just hammering on it and they finaly came off...thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor