rear coilovers v rear lowering springs

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
gonna try to make this as short as possible. my current suspension has been in car since came off the line so there's some sag in the springs how much don't know nor how to calculate. i need to lower car 1" from current height. already decided on front coilovers due to all the complications i seen with both coilovers and lowering springs in front, most cases they raise the front instead of lowering 1 went lower than advertised i think.

i yet to see same issues with the rear except i'm having issues figuring out all the compression/ extention measurements & so on + the $. i started looking at rear lowering springs trying to figure out if can get the same 1" lowering thru 1.5" or 2" drop springs. assuming the lowering amounts are static (not estimates) based on lowering from off production line height, with 26" OD factory tires. my tires are 245/50 17s (all 4) with 26.6" OD that's same as if other common size 245/60 15s is also 26.6" OD.

i guess my question is do you have those sizes on rear with 1.5" or 2" lowering springs and can i ask a few measurements from you? i can prolly calculate any other size tire but i cant calc for the sag.

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
gonna try to make this as short as possible. my current suspension has been in car since came off the line so there's some sag in the springs how much don't know nor how to calculate. i need to lower car 1" from current height. already decided on front coilovers due to all the complications i seen with both coilovers and lowering springs in front, most cases they raise the front instead of lowering 1 went lower than advertised i think.

i yet to see same issues with the rear except i'm having issues figuring out all the compression/ extention measurements & so on + the $. i started looking at rear lowering springs trying to figure out if can get the same 1" lowering thru 1.5" or 2" drop springs. assuming the lowering amounts are static (not estimates) based on lowering from off production line height, with 26" OD factory tires. my tires are 245/50 17s (all 4) with 26.6" OD that's same as if other common size 245/60 15s is also 26.6" OD.

i guess my question is do you have those sizes on rear with 1.5" or 2" lowering springs and can i ask a few measurements from you? i can prolly calculate any other size tire but i cant calc for the sag.
just fyi this an experiment i'm exploring before holding nose and buying coilovers if can't get go[od results out of this, also it'd save me over $1000 if could go with lowering springs.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Coilovers are an exact adjustment, whereas lowering springs give you what they got.

You can attempt to heat them to get more drop from the springs, but that isn’t an exact science and can affect how the springs feel.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Rear springs will be a crapshoot and there are less available choices. I got lucky and hit my ride height on the first try. Which is why I've held off installing rear coilovers. Where as the front I had had the same issues everyone else did and just jumped for the coilovers once I could afford them.
That being said, my rear springs were from Suspension Techniques, sport lowering springs. Not sure if they are even still in business. 25.25" to my fender lip

Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Rear springs will be a crapshoot and there are less available choices. I got lucky and hit my ride height on the first try. Which is why I've held off installing rear coilovers. Where as the front I had had the same issues everyone else did and just jumped for the coilovers once I could afford them.
That being said, my rear springs were from Suspension Techniques, sport lowering springs. Not sure if they are even still in business. 25.25" to my fender lip
I don't believe so. I used their springs on an earlier car in the 90's & tried to get more for my latest but could not find them.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
A spring sold on " as advertised " is a dice roll. How do they know how much your car weighs, what tire height you have and what you are looking for.

If you are a gambler. You do you homework, buy the spring that you feel will give you the height you want. OR buy coil overs for the sheer fact, the spring seat is adjustable.
Spending $$ will get you an double adjustable shock and it's rebuildable. You also have choices on spring height (longer or shorter) and spring rate. All which are not spring position.

Reactions: 2 users

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
A spring sold on " as advertised " is a dice roll. How do they know how much your car weighs, what tire height you have and what you are looking for.

If you are a gambler. You do you homework, buy the spring that you feel will give you the height you want. OR buy coil overs for the sheer fact, the spring seat is adjustable.
Spending $$ will get you an double adjustable shock and it's rebuildable. You also have choices on spring height (longer or shorter) and spring rate. All which are not spring position.
that's pretty much the conclusion i come to

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass

having the option to dial in the ride height with a set up like Shawn's is pretty sweet.i'm running a 1" UMI spring MINUS the upper urethane isolator(that's roughly 3/8")on a 255/45/18 wheel/tire combo. 20240412_191449.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Serious question....

Never used coilovers. It was my impression that shock mount points are really not designed to carry the full weight of the car and it's suspension movement. An example would be air shocks on a tri-5 chevy..... the shock mounts are famous for ripping out. Seems like I recall readingf that first-gen F bodies also have shock mount issues

This is where my question comes in...do coilovers require/include a beefed-up mounting system? Especially given that many cars are 40+ years old and from corrosive environments. I would think that might impact OE parts like lower control arms.

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
Serious question....

Never used coilovers. It was my impression that shock mount points are really not designed to carry the full weight of the car and it's suspension movement. An example would be air shocks on a tri-5 chevy..... the shock mounts are famous for ripping out. Seems like I recall readingf that first-gen F bodies also have shock mount issues

This is where my question comes in...do coilovers require/include a beefed-up mounting system? Especially given that many cars are 40+ years old and from corrosive environments. I would think that might impact OE parts like lower control arms.
only thing i can say is i done a ton of research on YT i yet to see any failures. i'm going with plates for front lower control arms, upper shock tower brace on rear** and all coilover cos offer rear bolt on brackets most being near $300 but i'm aiming for BMR's ***. not all that many used any of these things except rear brackets. i had many of the same thoughts as you till i started lookin into them.

* https://southsidemachineperformance.com/shop-1/ols/products/ssm-coilover-reinforcement-plates
** https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&vehicleid=15&maincatid=44&catid=645
*** https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1813&superpro=0

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor