Rear Disc Brake Conversion Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Do they clear 15" rims? I have a complete set up here that I was going to install on my Malibu but wasn't sure if they would fit.

Years ago I fabricated my own brackets using similar calipers. If I had to do it again I would use this Speedway kit. It will allow use of factory 15" rims.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Do they clear 15" rims? I have a complete set up here that I was going to install on my Malibu but wasn't sure if they would fit.

It depends on what wheels.

Thousands of 4th gen people run 15x8 and 15X10 drag wheels on the rear. Prostar welds, race stars, jegs wheels, ect. A 15" chev or olds rally won't clear as they run the same center on 14 and 15" wheels. If you use something like a T type or Monte SS aluminum wheel or a "large" center rally such as a pontiac rally it will fit.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I bolted S10 Blazer rear brakes to my 8.5 in my Monte. Not lowered, the calipers still hit the frame more that once or twice with them bolted to the rear position. They would never make it on the ground bolted to the forward side of the axle. In hindsight, I could have relieved a small area and made it work fine but I have a notched frame which resolves all of this.

Yes, you need all 2wd parts for this to work properly.
I had both the F body calipers and the S-10s. The S-10 is a larger body than the F-body calipers. I mounted the Fs to the rear and only had to make up shock relocaters.

Bullett801

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2019
I sent back the 4WD rotors and the 2WD rotors are on the way, so hopefully this will be the solution to this rear end build/fabrication. It has been an awesome learning experience, and I am sure I will run into some other obsticals as I install it, so thank ypu all for the advoice and knowledge. I definatley appreciate it guys and will let ypu know how it goes next weekend.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I seem to recall guys having to move the bottom of the shocks in to clear the 98-02 F body brakes as well. My issue is being able to use the discs with 15" steel rallies.
I just tried my factory steel wheel on my LS rear discs, they DONT fit. And yes I had to do the simple shock relocaters

Reactions: 1 users

Firetruck1

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2017
I just tried my factory steel wheel on my LS rear discs, they DONT fit. And yes I had to do the simple shock relocaters

Funny part is even the 14 inch steel stock 1988 wheels fit over the S10 rear disc brakes.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor