Rear disc brake kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
I wonder if your buddy is calling the proportioning valve the combo valve. If so, I have not heard it called that before. Correct me if I'm wrong but i believe all cars use some type of proportioning valve in the brake system.

Will you be replacing the lines as well in your project or work with your stick lines?

Reactions: 1 user

shawn1112

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2017
I wonder if your buddy is calling the proportioning valve the combo valve. If so, I have not heard it called that before. Correct me if I'm wrong but i believe all cars use some type of proportioning valve in the brake system.

Will you be replacing the lines as well in your project or work with your stick lines?
I’d like to keep stock lines as they are fairly new.
He is calling the combo valve “a big aluminum block under the master”

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Combination valve and proportioning valve are same thing.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Since around 1970 they call it a combination valve because it incorporates both the proportioning valve and the limiting valve as well as the residual pressure valve for drums. My 1968 Firebird disc brakes used separate proportioning and limiting valves. They are as rare as can be and stupid expensive so everyone uses a modern type combination valve now.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
So searched about these kits and found this thread. I’m also looking to convert my rears on my 83 Regal to a disc set up. I’m pretty handy around cars and not afraid to tackle a project. But when it comes to this, I’d rather be safe than sorry and if best left to a professional so be it. So with kit I’m linking below, would this just be pretty straight forward bolt on or more involved? I see mention of master cylinder, proportioning valve and possibly removing the axel. Would any of that apply with this kit, if so what needs to be done.
Thanks in advance

If the Jegs kit in the photos is the actual kit, then don't use it. You need the traingular piece woth the hole the size of the axle tube in the middle. Look at the Inline kits in the link https://www.inlinetube.com/pages/pr...l=6692521664942362587#?f=5020779022569191615|. G-body rear axles are somewhat odd in how the brake is mounted to the axle - the Inline kits use the correct method without any welding or alignment issues.

I second my recommendation to use the Inline Tube kit for the only reason of their customer support. Also, drilled and slotted rotors are unneeded on a street car, but they do look cool - lol. We spent plenty extra for them and they were unnecessary IMO . Good pads on the other hand, is a different story.

Buddy of mine mentioned possibly having to remove the combo valve? My car isn’t here to check, but he said most front disc, rear drum cars should have one.

Regarding the proportioning valve, if you have upgraded the front brakes via an S10, F-body or C5/C6 install, then the stock proportioning valve will work fine (it's already been answered that you have one - it's mounted on the driver side frame rail next to the transmission). IF, you have not done a front upgrade and install rear discs, then you'll need a new proportioning valve due to unbalanced braking you have. I would STRONGLY urge not to upgrade the rears to disc without upgrading the fronts.

shawn1112

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2017
If the Jegs kit in the photos is the actual kit, then don't use it. You need the traingular piece woth the hole the size of the axle tube in the middle. Look at the Inline kits in the link https://www.inlinetube.com/pages/pr...l=6692521664942362587#?f=5020779022569191615|. G-body rear axles are somewhat odd in how the brake is mounted to the axle - the Inline kits use the correct method without any welding or alignment issues.

I second my recommendation to use the Inline Tube kit for the only reason of their customer support. Also, drilled and slotted rotors are unneeded on a street car, but they do look cool - lol. We spent plenty extra for them and they were unnecessary IMO . Good pads on the other hand, is a different story.

Regarding the proportioning valve, if you have upgraded the front brakes via an S10, F-body or C5/C6 install, then the stock proportioning valve will work fine (it's already been answered that you have one - it's mounted on the driver side frame rail next to the transmission). IF, you have not done a front upgrade and install rear discs, then you'll need a new proportioning valve due to unbalanced braking you have. I would STRONGLY urge not to upgrade the rears to disc without upgrading the fronts.
Can I ask what your reasoning is on not converting the rear to discs without upgrading the fronts?
Also thank you for the other info.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Brake fluid volume requirements.

When you upgrade the fronts, all of the upgrades involve a larger caliper piston or groups of caliper pistons that require more volume than the stock. When you upgrade the rears to disc from drum - the same occurs. The function of the proportioning valve is to equalize the volume requirements to allow for 'even braking'.

If you upgrade just the fronts to an S10 caliper, then the change is small enough that the stock proportioning valve will still function very well. If you upgrade both the fronts and rears, then the stock proportioning valve functions correctly, but the master cylinder will not have enough volume to function art the same pedal height, so you will have a deeper pedal. The deeper pedal is uncomfortable in panic stop situations (leads to brown underwear moments lol.) Hence, the reason for upgrading to a larger diameter master cylinder if you've upgraded both the front and rears.

Now comes the issue, upgrade the rears and leave the stock fronts, now the proportioning valve cannot overcome the varying volume requirements and you have uneven braking. In a straight line it's not much of an issue, but a hard brake application on wet roads while turning will identify your displeasure with brakes that apply too much to the rears.

Reactions: 3 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I disagree. Stock 1984 setup with the orig MC and Prop valve here. I am using the Blazer front dual piston calipers, and LS1 rear dual piston calipers and I have no issues. Pedal is actually a little higher than with the stock brakes and stock "new " rubber lines when I did the swap.
It does not lock up the rears, nor does it want to "come around", nor do I have brake dust from the rear disks "dragging" as I have read should happen due to residual pressure that the drums are supposed to have. Just my personal experience over the last 7 plus years now.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I disagree. Stock 1984 setup with the orig MC and Prop valve here. I am using the Blazer front dual piston calipers, and LS1 rear dual piston calipers and I have no issues. Pedal is actually a little higher than with the stock brakes and stock "new " rubber lines when I did the swap.
It does not lock up the rears, nor does it want to "come around", nor do I have brake dust from the rear disks "dragging" as I have read should happen due to residual pressure that the drums are supposed to have. Just my personal experience over the last 7 plus years now.

With no argument intended, you have upgraded both axles, so the stock master and prop valve setup will work. The stock master works quite well with S10 front calipers. The reason you can't lockup the rear is because you do not have enough volume to rears, but they are contributing to braking a bunch. If you put he C5/C6 or F-body calipers on the fronts, then you'd expect a deeper pedal.

I guess I should've included in my previous post that upgrading the rear to disc and using everything else in stock form is not much of any improvement. The front brakes do 70+% of the braking. The best money spent for brake upgrades is on the fronts (to Shawn1112).

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor