Rear Disc Brake Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

supercharged_v6

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 16, 2006
Hey dudes. whats up. Well i have a 86 Grand Prix LE T-TOP with the V-8 5.0 HO and I am wondering what Rear Disc Axle will bolt up to it. I have a friend who has a Rear Disc Brake AXLE from a 3rd Gen Camaro just lying around. Trying to see if it fits so i can take it off his hands. Thanks.

MARS2878

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2008
attleboro, ma
anybody have a clue??

i was wondering the same thing but for an '85 gp

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you don't need to change your axles....here's a link just to show you what you need for the conversion....I'm converting mine but I'm using the plate from a camaro

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
another bookmark added. Thanks for the link.

MARS2878

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2008
attleboro, ma
not bad

but i was looking for a low buck alternative, like a factory swap

on my '93 bravada with drum rears, i swapped in a disc rear from a '98 bravada it was direct fit minus the e-brake cable.

i was thinking of using rear disc components or a complete rear end from a f-body or maybe from a cadillac or something like that

but thanks anyways

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
You can very easily use stock 4th gen F-body parts (better than 3rd gen since calipers are aluminum in lieu of iron). Remove the stock backing plate and replace it with the stock backing plate from the f-body. You will have to trim the mounting bracket a little, but you can use a dye grinder and it is easy. From there everything is basically a bolt-on. I have not done it yet (no money), but I have seen it done on a 3rd gen f-body (same rear as us).

GregonVI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, B.C.
This should tell you what you need to do for the forth gen. brake swap that Stoopud suggested: http://www.thirdgen.org/ls1reardisc

For interest sake here is info on the third gen swap:
http://www.ws6transam.org/1LEbrake.html

You can also buy the brackets from Scarebird to swap Cadillac Eldorado rear discs on but I have heard that the older Caddy calipers were trouble prone. http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=7

With the third and forth gen setups you will probably have to run 16" wheels minimum but you may be able to use 15" with the Scarebird setup, you would have to check with them.

I am leaning towards the forth gen system for my car, but I have to check to see if will fit the non G-body 8.5" diff that I will be swapping in.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor