Rear disc drag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Any chance the axle hubs are out of true? You could use a dial indicator to check.
I hope not … i don’t have a dial indicator. Is there a spec? Maybe i could rig up a primitive one

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Yes you need to shim calipers to center them. A bit off center will not cause drag but if it's way over, it may be bottomed out causing you drag.

If it's all new. I would disconnect things to narrow down the problem. Undo brake line to confirm it's not hydraulic, remove pads to confirms it is the brake or not.
Do you have the rotors bolted down?

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Yes you need to shim calipers to center them. A bit off center will not cause drag but if it's way over, it may be bottomed out causing you drag.

If it's all new. I would disconnect things to narrow down the problem. Undo brake line to confirm it's not hydraulic, remove pads to confirms it is the brake or not.
Well the rear end is a fresh rebuild and spun freely without brakes on it. It is definitely brake drag. As far as brake lines, i just finished buttoning that up, bled and everything....The rotors actually are not bolted down at the moment but i had em bolted when doing the install, I'll have to go back and try this again. Was waiting to finish up my wheels...I do have the slightly longer barrel spacers sitting on my bench which i guess might be worth a try (simplest thing to try first) i just dont understand how spacing them out more would help, both pads are already touching.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
I watched the video, that first plate is what I was referring to. Mine just had washers(cheap). I'd do what RT said to narrow it down.
Ok thanks for the help

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine

Alright Im a dummy, lol. I am working on another house project ATM but i popped in the garage real quick and tightened the lugnuts down... better i think but still prob. Too much drag. Looking over the top of the rotor, there is a big (3/4" or 1"bolt cant remember) that goes thru the mount and the housing plate. The head of this bolt is basically up against the back of the rotor although i dont see any scratches or wear marks. Guess i gotta burn this head down a little bit first and then see where Im at ....

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Alright Im a dummy, lol. I am working on another house project ATM but i popped in the garage real quick and tightened the lugnuts down... better i think but still prob. Too much drag. Looking over the top of the rotor, there is a big (3/4" or 1"bolt cant remember) that goes thru the mount and the housing plate. The head of this bolt is basically up against the back of the rotor although i dont see any scratches or wear marks. Guess i gotta burn this head down a little bit first and then see where Im at ....
The spacer between the housing and the mounting plate should have increased the distance from the head of the bolt. Grind the head down a little bit at a time until there is more clearance to the rotor. It's worth a try.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
The spacer between the housing and the mounting plate should have increased the distance from the head of the bolt. Grind the head down a little bit at a time until there is more clearance to the rotor. It's worth a try.

Ok guys, this question is for everyone…
How much brake drag on the rear is acceptable/normal? I have brand new brakes and also a brand new rear end (neither is broke in yet). I havent had much time to play this past week but now that I have a wheel mounted everything turns much easier. There is definitely some drag and it doesn't spin but it does turn fairly easy. The front, on the other hand spins like 3 whole revolutions…

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor