Rear drum brake upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
Just finished up my rear drum brake upgrade, since there aren't too many pics of the process i figured i'd share mine.

first replaced stock 3/4" bore wheel cylinders with S-10 7/8" bore. I also highly recommend using wheel cylinder bracket because the retainer is a pain in the *ss to get in and sometimes they are still loose. I couldn't get the new retainer in so i reused the old ones just to hold the wheel cylinders in place to install the brackets. You will need a 15/64" drill bit to install the brackets.

IMG445.jpg

You then want to use two primary shoes per side, the one on the bottom is the shorter stock secondary shoe, it has about 1/2" less contact area then the primary.

IMG447.jpg

And that is basically it, you gain more holding power which is good for launching and i would say more stopping power although this is highly debated lol you can also replace the rubber lines with stainless steel braided ones for better response, but I seem to have bad luck with brake lines so I didn't..

I also replaced the stock cast iron drums with aluminum drums to save weight and better heat dissipation + i love the look of aluminum.....especially when polished 8)

have cat litter all over my garage so everything is a little dusty
IMG451.jpg

IMG452.jpg

IMG454.jpg

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
So you have to by 2 sets of rear g-body brake shoes?

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Thanks PontiacGP. I didn't know that part of the upgrade. I thought it was just the wheel cylinder that was the upgrade. :oops:

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Good write-up, Richp85elco.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
crucial118 said:
Thanks PontiacGP. I didn't know that part of the upgrade. I thought it was just the wheel cylinder that was the upgrade. :oops:

I have read that some think there is a drawback using two primary shoes. The drum expands when it heats up and two primary shoes with more friction heats up the drum quicker which causes the brake pedal to travel further and affects your braking capacities. The larger piston in the non power bake is a great upgrade and the girdle holding the cylinder in place is really needed to keep the cylinder in place. When the cylinder moves you loose braking force on the shoes

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Good write-up, man. I've wanted to eliminate those useless clips that hold the brake cylinders in place. What a poor design.
Your aluminum drums look great. Yours are the first set that I've ever seen polished. 8)

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
I did the same upgrades to both the GN & 442. In the case of the GN it does help it hold the line better at the track and can be seen in before and after 60 foot times. Also I installed a proportioning valve. When I first did the larger wheel cylinders & both long soft pads on the GN if I would do a panic stop especially on wet pavement the back would lock up before and or without the front. If this happens you just adjust the proportioning valve and test until the problem goes away. All in all its a good easy and cost effective upgrade compared to converting to disks in the rear. Naturally disks would not fade as much under repeated hard use but they don't help hold the line any better so which is best depends on what you are using the car for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor